What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB

g zero

Well Known Member
ADSB is required in certain airspace. Those of us that installed it see its benefits ….. but now we see the flip side . As the manufacturer of our planes can we remove it ? Stay out of the current ADSB required airspace ? What if my ADSB is inoperable ? Tag it ?

You bring up a good point. Since it was the FAA that wanted adsb-out in the first place, I wonder how they’re going to react if a lot of owners remove it. Not to mention pilots ‘accidentally’ turning it off near certain airports.

Let’s think about this …a private enterprise is using a Federally funded system (ADSB) to collect fees from users of a Federally funded airport.

In terms of “a lot of owners removing” the system. Its called civil disobedience. A very large number of owners remove or turn off the system, and the number is so large that it cripples the system, and the “powers that be” have no choice but to listen to the concerns, and perhaps modify the system (or take other punative action against airports) to prevent fees being assessed based on system information.

If the aircraft is “equipped” with approved ADS-B “out” then the equipment must be operational and be “on” anytime the aircraft is operated, anywhere on the surface or in the air. So Rule Airspace has no meaning to an equipped aircraft since the equipment must always be on anyway. Technically this includes when a mechanic does a run up on an equipped aircraft. This includes taxiing on the tundra in the most remote Alaska with an equipped aircraft. This includes taxiing the equipped aircraft on a private ranch from the bunkhouse tiedowns to the barn. If you turn off the equipment while operating the aircraft is a violation of the FARs.

So if one were to “unequip” a currently equipped aircraft could that airframe be returned to non-ADSB status? I don’t know. Normally I would say yes but take a look at another regulation that is anaologus. That would be the exemption for transponders and/or ADS-B out for aircraft without an engine-driven electrical system. If an aircraft was originally certified without an engine-driven electrical system and has maintained that status without interruption then it qualifies for the exemptions associated with a non engine-driven electrical system aircraft such as the Mode C veil. However, if that same airframe has ever been equipped with an engine-driven generator or alternator at some time after certification it is no longer considered eligible for the non-electrical exemptions from things like the Mode C veil or ADS-B airspace under Class B. Even if that aircraft is subsequently returned to it’s original configuration of being an non engine-driven electrical airframe it has lost it’s eligibility to ever be considered as such with respect to transponder or ADS-B equipment. So once your airframe gets an engine-driven alternator or generator it is done for all time. So does the FAA consider the same concept for ADS-B where once equipped, an aircraft must always be equipped? I don’t know.

Back