What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjusting fuel cap flanges

I can't remember anything remarkable about installing the flange. Are you having a problem or do you have a specific concern?

I'm not sure if all of the caps & flanges are the same for all of the models. I bought the locking caps for my RV7.

The part that is a little bit tricky is positioning the flange before you drill the first hole. I installed the cap to use as a guide for centering in the skin. Then I was having difficulty clamping the flange. I put two strips of duct tape on the flange and inserted the cap through the skin. Once I got it positioned where I wanted it I pressed the duct tape down against the skin. After you drill the first hole you can start putting clecos in. Having said that I'm not sure it is super critical.

If you have the locking fuel caps then you will have to do alot of sanding/cooling in a bucket of water. That is some tough aluminum.

Cleco it in place and mark it so that you get it in exactly the same orientation each time you iterate. Note where it doesn't fit properly, secure it in your bench vice and bend it appropriately. Do this over and over and over again until you have a good fit. I didn't use a hammer to bend the flange. I just secured the flange itself in the vise and applied pressure on the other end. There is enough leverage across the diameter for this to work without a hammer.

There's a picture here:
http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/2012/02/26/fuel-tanks/

Back