What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

additional tools required?

MacPara

Well Known Member
I don't know if you noticed this but there's a revised page 3-02 on Van's website. It is the one that list the tools required and recommended to finish the build of the -12. I was going through the differences last night and I found additional tools listed that I actually don't have. So I am wondering of someone could confirm that these are needed and where they are needed, so I could make sure I have them before getting to that part of the build.
The new ones are:
- 1 100deg countersink cutter #12
- 1 100deg countersink cutter #19

then there's some Loctites listed but that's not really a problem. For completeness though:
- Loctite 221 (for PwrPlant)
- Loctite 243 (for Wing)
- Loctite heavy Duty Anti--Seize (PwrPlant)

Let me know what your experience on the countersink cutters is. They were not part of my Avery tool kit as they were previously not listed by Van's.

Page 34-02 and page 34-12...

...find use for the #12 (flathead #10 gas strut screws in canopy frame) and the #19 (the canopy guide blocks). I think there were one or two other places also.

Some will say you can use your #30 countersink if you are careful. No way, the loose fitting pilot will cause chatter and you'll likely make a very ugly countersink. Try it on a piece of scrap.

Some will say you can use a deburring tool. Maybe, but I was not too successful doing that either.

So, I ordered both those new countersinks as I discovered the need. Avery ships fast, so not much project delay, but I can see why Van's now includes them on the tool list.

Tony

Last edited:
I can't find the #19 at Avery's.
Do you have a part number Tony?

Thanks, Joeri (kids back to school, time to build again :))

I can't find the #19 at Avery's.
Do you have a part number Tony?

Thanks, Joeri (kids back to school, time to build again :))

Hi Joeri,
I used the #20 countersink (part #1054). Worked perfectly.

It makes me smile that you spent quality time with the kids this summer! Now I am looking forward to more of your build, maybe a stop action video of the fuselage, or??

Tony

maybe a stop action video of the fuselage, or??

Too late for that ;). I made pictures in the beginning for a stop action movie but the fuselage takes a lot more planning to make a movie than for the wing. Respect for Rudi Greyling and his movies.
Now I first have to paint the house again and then finally back to the "barn".

Back