What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding New SV Knob and AP Controls to Panel

DHeal

Well Known Member
Patron
I am thinking about adding the new Dynon Knob Control head and AP Control head to my RV-12's SV panel. Ideally, I would like to mount them side-by-side / horizontally just above the Garmin SL-40 transceiver. Unfortunately, it looks like the distance between the center instrument panel's two vertical supports is a tad too tight to accept the side-by-side control heads without extensive cutting. Has anyone out there successfully installed these two heads in this very tight horizontal configuration?

Alternatively, I could mount the heads side-by-side in a vertical orientation above the SL-40, but even that is a bit tight vertically. Another orientation would be to mount them in a horizontally stacked configuration above the SL-40. How are they mounted in Van's S-LSAs?

The Dynon Glastar demonstrator plane mounts the Knob Control head just below the throttle quadrant. I see that location as being somewhat easier to install (thumb drive receptacle in the way), but less desirable than a panel install.

I would welcome any ideas!

Do you already have the panels, or are you just going by measurements? The panels do not have much of a flange on the faceplate, so there isn't much wiggle room. They are designed to be the same height as the 10" screen when in the panel. I doubt you could save 1/8" per unit on width in the horizontal configuration.

I am not really familiar with the RV-12 panel, but have you thought of putting them in separate locations? You will likely be using the knob panel a fair bit more than the AP panel while flying, so I would recommend that as low on he panel as possible and close to your right hand. The AP panel can go higher, although lower is still better. Since they are used for very different functions, maybe look at splitting them up.

Back