What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Fuel Pump Switch

Piper J3

Well Known Member
Several folks have added a switch to control the RV-12 electric fuel pump which is set to run continuously as designed by Van?s Aircraft. I?ve been thinking about incorporating this change.

A couple of questions? I?m thinking of using the unused Auto-Pilot switch. I would need to re-label the switch and it?s corresponding fuse. Is this a good idea or should I just add a new switch in-line with existing pump wiring? If I add a new switch where do I place it? I?m thinking I would install it in place of the AP disconnect switch next to the throttle.

Thanks in advance?

I put mine in the open space just above the Ignition & Start module. Seems to be working out fine there but I'm sure other places would be good too.

Not sure but I think using the unused autopilot switch might be difficult because it's wired into the Fuse & Switch module. I don't think it's readily accessible for your fuel pump wiring.

Last edited:
The simplest wiring solution is probably an in-line switch close to the fuel valve. Some have mounted a switch on the floor beside the valve. Others on the seat bulkhead behind it. I put a toggle switch with a safety cover on the bulkhead just below the 12V socket. It's always on when the engine is running, but it's very convenient to be able to switch the pump off when the master is on without having to pull a fuse.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=104732

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to show or tell us a switch would improve current design, or are those that have implemented a switch guessing? Have not had a problem here in 7 years.

Has anyone been able to show or tell us a switch would improve current design, or are those that have implemented a switch guessing? Have not had a problem here in 7 years.

It's not a fix for a problem, Marty. It's just a useful switch, although many (probably including Vans) may see it as an unnecessary complication.

Last edited:

Marty, you obviously never had the high fuel flow alarm go off at 5000 feet and scare your wife half to death! LOL! And that is the reason I installed a switch on the bulkhead behind the fuel valve. Simple fix. 🙂

BTW, have a great Christmas. John

I used my Nav light switch since it had a dedicated fuse at that rating, and I don't have Nav lights. I spliced into the Nav light wire in the centerline tunnel for switched and ran the old power line to the fuel pump back to a 14V aux power socket that I installed on the ELT antenna bracket.

Back