What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding co-pilot brakes in RV-6A

dabney

Well Known Member
Friend
Can anyone comment on the work involved adding co-pilot brakes using the Van's co-pilot brake kit? Anything to watch out for, be aware of??

I put them in when we built the plane

I had to think my way through the plumbing to accept that there were no mistakes in the instructions etc. but they went in cleanly and presented no problems in operation.

Bob Axsom

Grove master cylinders

I did my RV-6A a couple of years ago, and I used the Grove master cylinders. I highly recommend them because they are adjustable. You can adjust the length of rod, which means you can set the brake pedal angle perfectly, and easily.

If you have ever flown an RV with the pedals too vertical, you will know what I mean.

Floor pedal brakes

Were these mods hangers? Has anyone done a floor mounted mod and was it more or less difficult? Not even sure if they make a mod for the floor pedals or not, if they do how much was the kit from Van's.

I have co-pilot brakes on my floor mounted pedals. Put them in initially during build in the early '90s.
Nothing unusual.

Vans co-pilot brake kits

I just bought the co-pilot brake kit from Vans for $205 as I recall. It comes with everything you need. The length of brake line tubing supplied was a bit short for what I needed. This was for overhead brakes.

I believe the accessories catalog offers kits for both types of pedals.

Back