What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding braking on right side

LINN

Would like to add brakes on the right passenger side to 7A which I did not build, but purchased. Is this possible and if so what would be the easiest and safest way?

I'm just an -8 owner, but why couldn't you buy brake-capable pedals, two new master cylinders, tubing, fittings, etc. for the right side? Tee the two lefts together and the two rights, respectively. Could tee a common reservoir, or get the master cyls with the individual reservoirs.

It'd be easiest to just unbolt the whole rudder pedal weldment and slide off the plastic block (at least on one side) and pull the whole thing out and then drill and fit the right side pedals on a bench. Once fitted, slide back in place and work out the tubes/hoses.. shouldn't be that hard at all.

You may want to make sure you get the appropriate drawing from Vans (not sure if it comes in the brake kit that they sell for this purpose) -- if not, ask for it when ordering. The drawing will help you a lot in understanding how the system is interconnected. A simple Tee at the brake reservoir will be sufficient (I think you'll get a plastic one with the brake kit).

Back