What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding Audio Soundtrack to Video

carlrai

Well Known Member
Patron
Making an attempt at editing a few videos and adding audio is a must after removing the drone of the engine from the recording.

No problem adding the audio track but first attempt contains copyrighted (Van Halen - Dreams) music so I can't share it on YouTube without doing some magic that others seem to have a handle on.

It appears that those that are successful using a sound track containing copyrighted material have included the name of the song and artist along with a link to where it can be downloaded. If someone can explain how this is done and anything else necessary that simplifies all the legal issues I'd sure appreciate it.

Boring to begin with - worse without the music. Will post if I ever get this solved. Thanks!

Primal Fear

Great looking airplane and great video.

I've looked for the list of approved songs you mentioned but can't find it.

Any ideas of how so many videos have copyrighted material?

I'll check out VIMEO. Thanks for the reply.

I've been a little miffed at what the best way is as well but I can tell you that Vimeo does screen for copyrighted music just like youtube. One thing that has worked for my videos so far is to remove the tags from the music file. Right click on the music file and select properties. Select the Details tab and at the bottom you'll see something that says Remove Properties and Personal Information. Not sure if this is the best way to do it but so far I have not had anything kicked back from Vimeo or Youtube when I've done this. I would guess that all the screening they do for copyrighted music is done electronically looking for this information. Perhaps there is someone on the forum with better experience and expertise in this area?

As I understand it, Youtube allows copyrighted music now with only a warning issued to you in an email. In your youtube admin area you will see a "Matched third party content" link next to any video that has copyrighted music in it. When you click on that link, it states the following:

"What should I do? No action is required on your part. Your video is still available worldwide. In some cases ads may appear next to your video."

The only limitation with this warning is that you can't monetize (run your own google adsense ads) on the video. Youtube displays where people can buy the music soundtrack and has it's own adsense ads on your video when people watch the video. This way, Youtube and the owner of the music make money.

Here's an example of a video I just uploaded. Any ads that are displayed aren't mine.
Steep Turns in a Cessna 172 using the Drift HD170

My audio was removed by YouTube

When I tried uploading the first time, YouTube did post my video but removed the audio, a Van Halen recording. The note I received wasn't anything like what you've described. I've since removed the video and the message is gone but it was something to the effect that it was copyrighted material and couldn't be used.
I'll try again but I expect the same results. I'm obviously doing something different.
It's a real puzzle to me how so many others contain the audio from music files. Looks like I'll just have to share with friends locally without uploading to public view.

Sure wish someone had a definitive answer.
Thanks for your input.

The other part I left out is that Youtube negotiates with artists about allowing their stuff to be used so they both can make money, like I mentioned earlier. Some artists just flat out refuse to allow any use of their music. I would think that the more well known the artist, the less chance of getting your video posted. Some artists like the idea of free advertising their music by Youtube, so that's the type of music artists to look for.

When I tried uploading the first time, YouTube did post my video but removed the audio, a Van Halen recording. The note I received wasn't anything like what you've described. I've since removed the video and the message is gone but it was something to the effect that it was copyrighted material and couldn't be used.
I'll try again but I expect the same results. I'm obviously doing something different.
It's a real puzzle to me how so many others contain the audio from music files. Looks like I'll just have to share with friends locally without uploading to public view.

Sure wish someone had a definitive answer.
Thanks for your input.

Mine are open to public!

Back