What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

adding AOA to finished RV-6

RickB

I'm New Here
I would like to install an AFS AOA Sport in my 8 year old RV-6. I'm not sure how to run the plumbing from the wingtip access back to the fuselage. I have no unused conduits in the wing. Any ideas? Thanks.

In the "From The Ground Up" EAA video, the builder uses a piece of PVC pipe through the lightening holes. There is heavy stuff and light stuff (schedule 20?). Obviously you want the light stuff. I'm sure you could anchor it to the ribs by going through the inspection panels.

Good luck.

Those air tubes are small and light.

I think that I might just use electrical tape and tape them every 6 inches to the outside of my existing conduits and then make sure where then went through the ribs to put some form of anti-chaffing material to protect them.

The hardest part of your install will be passing the tubes through the root of the wing into the fuse. It is tight there.

Kent

I'd personally use zip ties or waxed cord instead of electrical tape, but the idea is the same. Electrical tape ends up making a sticky mess after a few years, or dries up and unwraps itself. Either way not something I like to see when I open an airplane up for inspection.

Thanks guys, those are all good ideas. I'm leaning toward the PVC trick and perhaps adding in a few extra wires for the Next Great Thing that may come along in the future.

PVC...

Thanks guys, those are all good ideas. I'm leaning toward the PVC trick and perhaps adding in a few extra wires for the Next Great Thing that may come along in the future.

1/2 inch drip irrigation tubing might be a good substitute for the heavier PVC...

Back