What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Added wheel pants - 16 MPH difference

cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I finally finished installing the wheel pants, gear leg fairings, and the Fairing Etc. intersect fairings today. The Fairing Etc intersect fairings fit nicely. At 7000' and 75% power and RPM of 2500 and MAP 23 with a 70" Sensenich fixed pitch prop and a pitch of 81", I had a TAS of 194 MPH. I couldn't run WOT because I would exceed the RPM red line of 2600 on the Sensenich. Before the fairings, at 7000ft. I had a TAS of 178MPH WOT. I could not exceed the red line at any altitude.

The fairings really make a difference. I still am able to climb like crazy even with the 81 in pitch whereas Van's recommends a 79 in. pitch. Maybe I could have even used a slightly greater pitch to keep the prop below red line.

I also had another mile stone today. My tach rolled over 40 hrs., 40.6 to be exact. I am now through with Phase I!!!!!!!

Wow! What a feeling. Congrats!

Preview plans are on the way. So I estimate in 3-7 years I might have a post like yours; stay tuned ;-)

Congratulations..

....Cleve. We had about the same gain....but remember? I told you earlier that you'll have at least a 180 MPH airplane. Now it's time to put 2J3 in the GPS and lunch'll be on me.

Regards,

Congrats! (Read my tagline)

You got me by 7 mph at that altitude (187) but it may be in part due to the prop as I have a three blade Catto. Now, just for funsies, take it up higher and see how it does. N908BL does considerably better at 12,000, something I totally didn't expect. Craig Catto said it may be because our E-mag is readjusting the timing due to the lower MAP. I would be curious to see how yours compares, or any other 9A, for that matter.

Again, congratulations on building a fine example of the breed!

Bob Kelly

I finally finished installing the wheel pants, gear leg fairings, and the Fairing Etc. intersect fairings today. The Fairing Etc intersect fairings fit nicely. At 7000' and 75% power and RPM of 2500 and MAP 23 with a 70" Sensenich fixed pitch prop and a pitch of 81", I had a TAS of 194 MPH. I couldn't run WOT because I would exceed the RPM red line of 2600 on the Sensenich. Before the fairings, at 7000ft. I had a TAS of 178MPH WOT. I could not exceed the red line at any altitude.

The fairings really make a difference. I still am able to climb like crazy even with the 81 in pitch whereas Van's recommends a 79 in. pitch. Maybe I could have even used a slightly greater pitch to keep the prop below red line.

I also had another mile stone today. My tach rolled over 40 hrs., 40.6 to be exact. I am now through with Phase I!!!!!!!

Sounds like you are prop'ed perfectly for higher altitude cruising (where the RV-9A really shines).
A large majority of RV-owners fly cross country at 10,500 and 11,500. Air is cool, smooth, less traffic, etc, and in an RV it doesn't take very long to get up there. I an RV-9A with the higher aspect ratio wing this is a good place to cruise for better efficiency. Try 10,500, I'll bet you can run WOT, not go over read line, and get the same true airspeed but at an even lower fuel flow.

Back