What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS location

Ron B.

Well Known Member
We have a pair of Skyviews on order and are wandering what location and type of bracked you are using on the RV-10. I haven't been able to post photo's so it's probably not fair to ask for for some. But I'll ask anyway.
Happy New Year and thanks for all the help.
Ron

AHRS mount

Many people mount theirs in the tailcone with the magnetometers. I however put mine behind the sub-panel. I cut out and opening, reinforced the edges and then built a shelfbehine the panel. I have it mounted on the co-pilot side, the first pic below is a side view of the mount, the second is looking forward from the cabin.

12643217504a2c3b2379072.jpg

335394a2c3b2384bce.jpg

Many ways to install them, this is just how I did it. Hope it helps.

Eric Kallio
N518RV Wiring and installing panel

Thanks Eric
I'll have to get this inserting a photo figured out. We are planning an aft mount I do believe.

I was thinking of using a shelf similar to the ELT/Strobe power mount and putting it at the top rear of the bay behind the baggage bulkhead.

Aft mounts

I too considered an aft mount for them on a helf built across the tailcone longerons. I chose the subpanel mount to reduce the number of wires I had to run to the back. Putting the AHRS in the back certainly makes the space mangement of other subpanel mounted components easier, I just didn't want to run 2 more wire bundles back.

Eric

AHRS shelf from Vans

Ron,
You could consider the pre punched shelf available from Vans. It is pre-drilled to fit the GRT and Garming AHRS but could easily be made to fit others as well.The nice thing about it is that it automatically levels the AHRS with the airframe which makes for a quick installation.

The second picture is of my Magnetometer installation. Based on the experience of other RV-10 builders I chose this location. This makes for a clean and neat installation and reduces the wire runs to the wing tips. I know of several people who have installed the Mags in this location with no ill effect

AHRS_shelf.jpg

Magnetometers.jpg

Thanks Guys
Ivan, the MAG mount in your photos , are they something you made from scratch? I like the location as it is away from all other ferous materials. We have made a bracket that mounts on the angle longeron just in front of the bulkhead aft of the battery mount location. Today, one of our members thought of the aft seat belt cable. It's steel and a magnet sticks to it. The cable passes just clear of our bracket, so it's not a good location. I'll have to duplicate your top mount bracket. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Ron

Back