What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS again

JEG

Before closing the fuselage I thought I would call Van's with reference to any kind of stiffener to solve the reported problem. I was told that there was no plans to address this problem by Van's. Also he stated that if I had a problem it was the propeller. Who's bs'n who? John 120324 N337JG

Have been waiting for nasa515 to jump in here....I'm in the same boat. However, having delt with Van's tech staff on building issues. It depends greatly on who answers the phone as to the level of help you wind up with.

Wish Scott would either affirm or deny something is in the works....please!

I have affirmed it in the past. Nothing has changed... JEG must have talked to someone in the office that wasn't yet aware (this is not all that unusual... until a change has been issued, or a new product released they will not necessarily know about it).
I believe the hold up at the moment is waiting for Dynon to analyze ADDHRS data down loaded from an RV-12 that had a vibration induced problem, to confirm that installation of the designed stiffener is producing the desired result.

Scott,

Do you see this coming as an SB or a plans change? We have been flying with skyview in the original configuration and have never had a vibration alert. Would hate to drill the skin for a stiffener with new paint on.

Scott,

Do you see this coming as an SB or a plans change? We have been flying with skyview in the original configuration and have never had a vibration alert. Would hate to drill the skin for a stiffener with new paint on.

Kyle, at my company we use some 3M specialty tape (VHB- very high bond) that is similar to the tape that auto companies use to affix outside trim on cars- but our version we buy is supposedly twice as strong.
If this stiffener actually comes out soon, let me know. I'll send you a few feet of the VHB tape. Then you can affix the stiffener to the top of the fuse from inside. It's NOT going to move, so it should work great with no riveting.

Scott,

I don't know if it will be an S.B. but I don't think so.
With almost 300 RV-12's now flying, this hasn't been a common problem. We had been flying our 2 company RV-12's for a couple years with Skyview and had not experienced it.
I imagine it will be rolled into the kits and then made available to anyone else that needs it (or just wants to install it). By pre-painting the rivets and putting some tape padding on the mandrel of the rivet setting tool, it can be added to finish painted airplanes with it almost undetectable.

Count me in for some tape also. I had been thinking sikiflex or Right Stuff just for simplicity since it is not structural.
or
Kyle, at my company we use some 3M specialty tape (VHB- very high bond) that is similar to the tape that auto companies use to affix outside trim on cars- but our version we buy is supposedly twice as strong.
If this stiffener actually comes out soon, let me know. I'll send you a few feet of the VHB tape. Then you can affix the stiffener to the top of the fuse from inside. It's NOT going to move, so it should work great with no riveting.

More Good Stuff From Van's

I'll place this kit into my Rv-12 for sure. I appreciate Van's doing the engineering for me. Thanks again, Van's.:D

Last edited:
What if the tape lets loose and parts fall and jam the controls?
Joe Gores

A small safety wire, like Don said, for piece of mind. I'll get the properties of the tape and post later. It handles extreme heat and extreme cold. And if you need to take it off, it can be done but it's no simple task like using a putty knife or anything. It's very very THERE once you prep the surface with alcohol and affix the tape. It was even used on the space shuttle according to 3M.

It's the perfect solution for a no hole, no rivet install. Then simply hang a small safety wire off of it for peace of mind.

Question answered

If it was used in the Shuttle and went into space then it must be within "the scope and detail of appendix D to part 43", per your operating limitations.

Whoops, what am I doing in this thread, I don't even have the SkyView ;)

You need to upgrade Tony! I have flown one 12 with 180 and one with Skyview. Sure is a world of difference if you are sitting on the right side!

Just FYI, I have used the cement provided with Clickbond fasteners to attach occasional parts. That stuff smells like dental cement and is very tenacious. I've never had a part come loose from it.

Back