What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AD for Hartzell cs is expensive- is this accurate?

erikpmort

Well Known Member
The 6a I'm about to purchase has an AD for the prop hub that requires inspection every 100 hours. The A&P that has done the annual the last 3 years says he charged 350$ everytime just to inspect the hub. Is this a fair price ? He told me a rough guess on replacing the hub is 4-5k. I plan on putting a couple hundred hours on my plane a year so this is a large expense and will have to negotiate the price accordingly if so. What do you guys know about this ? I can get the logs in a minute and post the hub serial

I?d say there?s two distinct points of reference on the issue ? and they depend on whether you?re buying or selling.

One is to ignore the AD completely as it?s not applicable to E-AB. I?m aware there are differing and strong opinions about the AD/E-AB issue, so we certainly don?t need to go down that path again, but it IS an option to consider. If I?m selling, this is the tack I?m going to take.

The second point of reference uses the AD to your favor ? simply factor in the cost of a new hub in your negotiation. As a buyer, you have a strong position here.

As an E-AB, you can work on the plane yourself; since you were not the builder, you will just need to have the annual signed off by an A&P-IA. Why not perform the the SB inspections yourself?

erich

As an E-AB, you can work on the plane yourself; since you were not the builder, you will just need to have the annual signed off by an A&P-IA. Why not perform the the SB inspections yourself?

erich

I believe the OP is referring to the eddy current inspection. I believe this is similar to NDI in that special equipment and diagnostic ability is required..?

Refer to AD 2009-22-03 which requires ECI (eddie current insp) or replacement of no suffix or 'E' hubs.

I doubt that many A&P's are qualified to perform an ECI inspection, most likely he calls in an outside contractor to do the work. If you are interested in finding out how much it costs just call around to a few prop shops and ask.

I just did an annual on a AC with one of these hubs, I signed off the annual but made a notation in the prop log that the prop was not in compliance with the AD and that I had notified the owner of the condition and provided him a copy of the AD. It's up to him from there as to how he wants to handle it.

Amount

My prop shop charges $170 for the inspection. It does not take much time but does need the eddy current equipment. Only the spinner need be removed. Perhaps look for another shop? If you plan to fly that much, you should be around quite a few. If it is any comfort, my shop says the only hub they have seen fail the test was from Pitts where the prop was routinely and intentionally run in an overspeed condition.

Curious question: could one buy a "cheap" used eddy current tester, and learn or be taught to do the testing yourself?

Last edited:
This inspection must be accomplished by qualified personnel at an
appropriately licensed propeller repair facility or certificated aircraft mechanic
with an eddy current qualification in accordance with Hartzell Standard
Practices Manual 202A (61-01-02).

Sorry for the high-jack.... But you have to appreciate how Walt opperates!!!! I may have to take my plane to him bi-annually when I'm done. It's a long trip but I love his by the books approarch!!

I would exercise this option...

...As we did in the purchase of the -8...

The fact is, it does not matter what one party thinks of AD applicability - it is the "market" that decides value (or lack of) - and the market is pletty clear on the matter. ADs (and TBO's for that matter) are a factor in aircraft sales prices.

Back