What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

acrobatic maneuvers placard?

Placard

In Canada there are diff rules, but in the Vans catologue, I believe they have a FREE placard they will send you that meets the rules. I know some people that put up the placards and pass their inspection and then most oddly...the placards seem to fall off and disappear...wierd...just what I have heard happens. :D

The way I read it, technically speaking no placards are required at all as long as the info is recorded somewhere in the aircraft. The one exception is the passenger warning placard that's required IAW AC 20-27G, para 10.c. Here’s the abbreviated FAR:
§ 91.9 Civil aircraft flight manual, marking, and placard requirements.
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may operate a civil aircraft without complying with the operating limitations specified in the approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, markings, and placards, or as otherwise prescribed by the certificating authority of the country of registry.
(b) No person may operate a U.S.-registered civil aircraft—
(2) For which an Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual is not required by § 21.5 of this chapter, unless there is available in the aircraft a current approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, approved manual material, markings, and placards, or any combination thereof.
Furthermore, here’s what Order 8130.2G has to say:
4104.b.(13) This aircraft must contain the placards or markings, as required by 14 CFR § 91.9. In addition, the placards and markings must be inspected for legibility and clarity, and the associated systems inspected for easy access and operation, to ensure they function as intended by the amateur builder/owner during each condition inspection.
So, the only thing I can find that is an absolute must (besides the pax warning mentioned above) is the word “EXPERIMENTAL” has to be displayed IAW 8130.2G sub para 4104.b.14.
However, much like the issue that crops up time to time with a mag compass, it might be easier to get through the certification inspection to at least temporarily add the placards and take’m off later if you really don’t want to display them.

Last edited:
My DAR included "no aerobatic maneuvers, including spins" in my operating limitations, which of course must be on-board.

He didn't say anything about a placard, which I do not have.

Experimental

The experimental placard may be eliminated if NX is used in the N number. Joe Norris did an excellent article on the subject of N number requirements a few years ago in Sport Aviation.

The experimental placard may be eliminated if NX is used in the N number. Joe Norris did an excellent article on the subject of N number requirements a few years ago in Sport Aviation.

To use the "NX" the design must be at least 30 years old.
ref: 45.22(b). The RV-3 and -4 both qualify. No other RVs do.

Not me

I'll have to check, but I don't think I even have any prohibitions against acro in my operating limitations, and no placard was required by my FSDO inspector.

I'll have to check, but I don't think I even have any prohibitions against acro in my operating limitations, and no placard was required by my FSDO inspector.

If you have a "non aerobatic" RV, that is an RV-9/9A, RV-10, or RV-12, paragraph (15) of your operating limitations should state "This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight, that is, an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in the aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration not necessary for normal flight."

If this is not in your op lims, they were issued in error. Neither an FAA ASI, nor a DAR may reduce this limitation unless you have shown that the aircraft is safely capable of aerobatic maneuvers.

To use the "NX" the design must be at least 30 years old.
ref: 45.22(b). The RV-3 and -4 both qualify. No other RVs do.

The exact wording is -

"...an amateur-built aircraft and which has the same external configuration as an aircraft built at least 30 years ago may be operated without displaying marks in accordance with..."

Wouldn't Art Chards side by side RV qualify as "same external configuration" and let the RV-6s use the NX designation?

I can't find any pictures of the Art Chard plane though I gather it was sort of a RV-6 prototype...

Wouldn't Art Chards side by side RV qualify as "same external configuration" and let the RV-6s use the NX designation?
I can't find any pictures of the Art Chard plane though I gather it was sort of a RV-6 prototype...

It's possible. But I wouldn't want to push the issue unless you can provide enough pictures to sufficiently document the airplane.

Back