What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

acro isn't pretty

kevinh

Well Known Member
TAEnT.jpg

(at least not with us) :D

I am stoked. I did my first roll today (solo). followed by 5 more and then one to the right. I am going to have to do more of these. It was a lot of fun. after I have mastered the roll, it is on to loops.

Yep, hemorrhoids in the making for sure. :)

Rear end surgeons love it, mine said pilots were 90% of his business. It's one day in and out, and on the way out you get a prescription for 7 days of pain killers. They were needed....:(

Not much is free in life including the fun of acro.

Caution!

I am stoked. I did my first roll today (solo). followed by 5 more and then one to the right. I am going to have to do more of these. It was a lot of fun. after I have mastered the roll, it is on to loops.

Not teaching ourself are we Alton? If so stop.. You can get into a whole heap of trouble with RV acro. At least learn from an experienced acro pilot.

Frank

How many G's were you pulling? The most I've ever pulled in my -7 is about 3.5 G's on the pullout of a botched loop. A good loop doesn't go over 2.9 G's.

(disclaimer: I'm pretty new at aerobatics too, so I don't do very many "good" loops!)

The most I've ever pulled in my -7 is about 3.5 G's on the pullout of a botched loop. A good loop doesn't go over 2.9 G's.

(disclaimer: I'm pretty new at aerobatics too, so I don't do very many "good" loops!)

For many, good loops are kinda like what they say about landings...something about walking away from them. :D Of course, if it was being judged on competition quality, 2.9G's would be very hard to produce a loop that is actually round. It would be very elliptical at 2.9G, though in theory enough power and speed could produce a round one. You might need 4.5G, depending on entry speed. No need to baby an RV. It is designed for aerobatics and stressed the same as any other acro plane, meaning (in theory) an unlimited cycle of 6G will not adversely impact the structural integrity of the airplane. Not that there's any reason to pull 6G doing recreational RV acro....unless you're pulling from Vne and trying to do two vertical rolls and fly off the top. :)

Loop entry speed

For our over the top maneuvers, the loop and barrell roll we us 180kts true minimum and pull smartly to 3.5g's and then ease up and about 1/2g float over the top and back to about 3.5 on the pull out. This gives us nice round loops. Lead is also playing the power a bit. adds a couple inches on the upline, back smoothly about 3 or 4 inches over the top and keeps it back until the G's start coming back in the pull and then back to entry power.
It's easy to follow on the wing this way and gives nice round loops.

How many G's were you pulling? The most I've ever pulled in my -7 is about 3.5 G's on the pullout of a botched loop. A good loop doesn't go over 2.9 G's.

less than 3.5 G. I didn't realize how it looked either.

Back