What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ACK E-04 Installation questions

rgmwa

Well Known Member
I posted this query under a more obscure thread title but with no response, so thought I'd re-post with a more specific heading and perhaps clearer explanation of where I'm having problems.

There are 4 pins on the back of the DIN connector but only two wires to connect to it, the red and white WH-P325 power wire and the shielded white Data Out WH-F55 wire (I have the original D180 wiring, and this apparently becomes GRY/PRP WH-395 in the Skyview kit). According to the ACK instructions, the RS232-Rec wire, which I assume is the Data Out wire, goes to pin 4. Power goes to pin 1. Then a short 24 AWG test wire (which we have to make) is connected to pin 2.

However, the instruction in the manual which I don't understand (with punctuation as written) is:
3.) Connect one conductor to pin 3 and connect to aircraft ground at the cockpit. connect the outer shield to ground, at the cockpit end only.

My questions are:

1. Is WH-55/WH-395 Data Out to pin 4 correct, and what do I do with the exposed shield at the DIN plug end?
2. I assume it would be OK to use 22AWG wire instead of 24AWG for the test wire at pin 2 as I don't have any 24AWG?
3. What am I supposed to do at pin 3? What wire are they talking about?

Thanks in advance to those who have gone before.

OK, here is how I wired my RV-12's (Skyview) ACK E-04 ELT - keep in mind that I haven't yet TESTED the ELT, but my wiring reflects input from Mike Akatiff at ACK Technologies:

Pin 1 in the ELT's four-pin Mini plug connects with Van's P-325 ELT Power (red/white).
Pin 2 goes to an RS-232 Send Test Wire (a 12" or so stub of wire that you may use in the future when testing the ELT).
Pin 3 goes to a nearby convenient airframe ground (NOT to the F-395 GPS Data Out shielding).
Pin 4 connects to Van's F-395 GPS Data Out (white) wire. Do NOT ground the shielding surrounding this F-395 wire - just cleanly trim it so it doesn't touch anything - Van's has already grounded this shield at its forward end (see Van's avionics schematic drawing).

I am no electronics expert - I always follow directions when changing lightbulbs ("Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, etc.). However, the above was OK'd by the ACK rep. Your mileage may vary! Good Luck!! -- David

Back