What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Accident during taxiing, Tank repair advice

thilokind

Hi folks,

a friend of mine (not on that forum) had an accident during taxiing: he hit a sign post, which ripped the bottom side of the left tank open. There is now a gap, approx. 1' long. None of the ribs are damaged.
Any idea how to fix that? Do we need to replace the complete skin? Or can we close the crack with a patch (using cherry max blind rivets)?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Thilo

With the info you gave, I would probably build a new tank.

As far as I am concerned, getting the old one sealed is probably going to be a hassle.

Really hard to answer without seeing the actual damage.

Photos of the damage would be a big help to let folks make a better assessment of the damage, and how to fix, or if indeed it is fixable.

Sure That's the Only Damage?

At the very least, I'd also want to check the wing angles against the undamaged wing (or better yet, the design specifications). While other damage may not be evident, I'd hate to put everything together and then find out I've got a spar out of alignment. Most likely, there's no problem - I'd just want to be certain.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

A 1' tank tear is easily repaired.
Get into the tank bay. Either from the rear baffle or end ribs. Replace your entry hole with an access panel.
Patch tear from the inside.

Last edited:
A 1" tank tear is easily repaired.

A 1" tear might not be as bad but a 1 foot long, which the above post indicate is more challenging to repair.

Considering all the issues that may still exist as a result of the repair and potential danger, I would certainly be replacing this tank.

good luck

A 1' tank tear is easily repaired.
Get into the tank bay. Either from the rear baffle or end ribs. Replace your entry hole with an access panel.

I agree. A doubler on the inside will leave the tank stronger than ever.

That's how 50 year old KC-135's are still flying, they've got doublers everywhere and they are not little doublers.

I would be easier to figure this out with a picture.

A 1" tear might not be as bad but a 1 foot long, which the above post indicate is more challenging to repair.

Considering all the issues that may still exist as a result of the repair and potential danger, I would certainly be replacing this tank.

good luck

No rib damage and the post said a tear 1" long. Don't know how wide the tear is. I think that Kahuna is right, repair is easy. Although the patch will be easy to spot from the outside.

I would think that the tank absorbed the energy from the impact, but the back spar should be check for any bending in it.

Kent

Call Van's

Call Van's and consult with them. You can't be the first cowboy at this rodeo. Sounds doable but best make sure from the engineers at Van's.

Repairs

There are 2 types of repairs, one you see and one you don't. If you don't mind seeing a patch than go for it. If that bothers you then you can replace the skin or the tank. Both types of repairs are acceptable per FAA regs. Per your description and no damage to the ribs or spar this is classified as a minor repair.

Hi folks,

a friend of mine (not on that forum) had an accident during taxiing: he hit a sign post, which ripped the bottom side of the left tank open. There is now a gap, approx. 1' long. None of the ribs are damaged.
Any idea how to fix that? Do we need to replace the complete skin? Or can we close the crack with a patch (using cherry max blind rivets)?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Thilo
Two quick build tanks for sale off RV-7A.

[email protected]

Back