What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access panel

I thought real hard about putting one in as well, but I'm about 90% of the way to talking myself out of it. I will have dual 10" Dynon screens, which are only about 2 inches deep, and removing those is the work of just a couple minutes. Then you've got LOTS of access room into the panel. Not sure I really need to hack a panel in my forward top skin that I would have to worry about sealing against weather.

I might cut some access holes into the subpanel behind the main so I can snake a hand into the back end of the 430W, audio panel, etc that will live in the center stack.

Two fwd access panels

I installed two fwd panels, since I wanted to access the GRT hdwe located between the subpanel and the firewall. I installed them before the skin was riveted on, but it strikes me that installation would be quite do-able after riveting too. My access panels are very conventional, rectangular in shape and installed with platenuts and #6 screws.
I know one builder who had complained of not being able to make them completely rain-tight. I know another who sealed them with #2 Permatex and says he has no leak issues. I have not yet "final sealed" mine, as I have some more GRT to make adjustments (scale factors, and offsets). Needless to say, I plan to use the Permatex approach.

Access panels

Bob,

If you want, take a look at my Picasa site at the bottom of my signature. I posted a few photos of how I did mine, how they were created and installed. Then if you go farther down the list of photos, some of how much room and the access to the back of the electronics. I would do it over again in a flash!

If you are going to put them in, make sure they are large enough for you to fit BOTH hands and arms in.
While it is no fun getting on your back and working under the panel, the amount of time one spends doing that should be minimal, should be.
I am just finishing up rewiring the power distribution system in my airplane and doing it all from below. Yes, it is a pain, but it will be done in under a week and I can count on one hand the number of times I have had to crawl under the panel in 500 hours. Not much.

I thought hard about this question as well, ended up not putting any access panels in and haven't had much of an issue with it. The guys I have spoken with that have the access holes, still get upside down under the panel during their condition inspection at least once a year. That's what talked me out of it.

Since my decision I found that I had to do some additional wiring with the top skin on. Was dreading it, but once I situated myself and had all the tools necessary, I could easily reach everything up behind the sub panel.

Note, I am 42 and have noticed the joints slowing a bit over the last few years.. When I am 60 and still working on my RV-7, getting upside down might not be as easy, but regardless you will have to do it if you own and maintain an RV-7. ;-)

www.704ch.com

I put them in (7A slider) and am very glad I have them. I've had to get in there a couple of times in 4 years of flying and it has made life a LOT easier.

Dan

Note, I am 42 and have noticed the joints slowing a bit over the last few years.. When I am 60 and still working on my RV-7, getting upside down might not be as easy www.704ch.com

For sure, for sure! I'm 65, not overweight, and in good physical condition. But contorting my old bod upsidedown under that panel is excruciating. I avoid it like the plague. :eek:

Just finished building four access panels up front. Took a little time, but no excitement. Used proseal for the gaskets. There are many threads on the subject if you search and a lot of good advice. I need access to my spaghetti factory.

Bob,

I used 6 of these on my tipup.

They are RV-10 Stall warning access panels.
This is the easiest way and they are already done.

Don't have the part # handy but someone will have them.

Good luck and glad I used them.

Boomer out

Back