What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access panel fix: Tank on or off?

DCalland

I have the cork gasket under the access panel and have developed a fuel leak after 185 hrs and 8 months after painting (of course!). I've seen many posts about using proseal which I intend to do and ditch the gasket but how many of you have replaced the access panel with the tanks on? It looks possible but tedious. I hate to cut the paint around the screws already for tank removal.

If you have not used pro-seal when you installed the tank access plate, opening it without removing the tank should be quite easy.

I had to re-open the tank access hole that I sealed with pro-seal instead than using the cork gasket and, even with the tank not installed, it was a real pain!

The key to making the cover more easily removable is to not full tighten the screws so that all the sealant is squeezed out. Leave about a 1/32 " layer of sealant between the cover and the rib to allow for tapping a putty knife between the two.

Back