What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Acceptable twist

Maxrate

Well Known Member
Patron
After spending some time this weekend with a long time builder in another state I was able to take away some gems of wisdom. Putting it into practice is another story. :D

Tonight I was able to complete the left flap. I used his recomendation on a perfectly straight table with no warp, humps, or dips in it. I drilled and clecoed straight into the table when able and followed the build sequence as Vans recomends in the const. manual. Im pretty happy with the results, however when laid on a flat surface the inboard trailing edge was up about 1/8th of an inch. So what is acceptable twist when building the wing control surfaces. I know that you can "squeeze" the ailerons to correct for minor twist.

108ilnc.jpg

Unfortunately, there are no hard and fast rules on this kind of thing. That said, on something like a flap, elevator, aileron, etc., an eighth wouldn't bother me. I think one, maybe both of my flaps have a little twist. Not sure how I did that all those years ago.

So unless your goal is a grand champion at Osh, build on. If having a grand champion is your goal, there is probably a builder out there who would trade you his untouched parts for a finished flap with 1/8" of twist...

IT can take a lot of twist.
Ive owned up to a 1/4" and seen over 1/2 inch.
Ive never seen or heard of 'squeezing' a twist out.
What Kyle said.

The skill will be building the opposite twist in the other flap :D

Andy if I can pull that off, I'm going to put this plane in for some kind of an Oshkosh award . :p

Seriously, The squeeze I was refering to is pinching the trailing edge of the ailerons once the plane is flying to counter roll effect due to issues like miss rigging or twist that was built into a control surface.

Oh well if some guys have had over a half inch of twist I guess I'll be ok.

Build on like Ken at Vans says!

Thank's Gents.

Back