What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About to order a new engine - will this config work?

eatenbyagrue

Hi All,

Building an RV-7A, carb, constant speed. I've found a good supplier to do an ECI kit engine build for me, and am getting ready to put in an order. Before signing on the dotted line, I was hoping to get some feedback from the VAF crew about the configuration. My goal is to get as close to the O-360A1A configuration as possible so I can use most of the Van's Firewall Forward Kit as possible, and match their drawings for ease of installation.

After going through the ECI configuration spreadsheet, I get a model number of OX-360-A4J1N. That includes the bottom mount hot induction, with the direct drive mag configuration. I think that's what I need for dual Pmags?

If anyone knows of any issues with this configuration, I'd love to hear about it before I pull the trigger.

Thanks
Josh

Last edited:
thrust washer?

I guess the "4" in the A4J designation is something called "thrust washer mod", which I don't fully understand. The engine builder said something about it being an extra bearing, and overall improvement, but I'm not sure if it changes the dimensions or anything about the install..

I guess the "J" in the designation, as set in the ECI configurator, refers to the direct drive mags vs impulse coupling. I think that's what i need for the Pmags?

So, I guess it would be an A1A in their parlance, with the change of the thrust washer mod and the direct drive mag setup....

thrust washer is an internal modification of the case and does not change any external dimensions or anything like that. You wouldn't even know you have it... Don't have any photos of it, but it's just a two-part "washer" in between the case and crank's thrust surface.

Back