What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About to buy GPSMAP 296

Brantel

Well Known Member
For those of you who own and use a 296, can you give me a little feed back on your opinion of them? I am concidering purchasing one soon. Any info both good and bad would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I got my 296 mainly for the "obstructions". And that part I like. Most people will disagree with me but there are many things that I don't like. One, the color screen is much more difficult to see in bright sunlight than the monochrome 195. The fact that it has much more information avialable, it is not nearly as user friendly as the 195. The "wpt" key, which I used quite frequently on my 195 is missing on the 296. All the information is there but it takes many more key strokes. If the 195 had "obstructions" I would go back to it. Just my $.02.
Mel...DAR

P.S. I also tried the Lowrance. The 296 is better than it. (Again just my opinion)

296=best ever

I've been using the 296 for > 1 year now, it is great. The best thing is the battery life - about 10 real world hours. I use it portable (yoke mount) and don't plug it in (this means 1 less wire). Easy to use, fast update, and terrain/towers is good to have. Also has approaches.

Last thing - spend the extra $$ and get the car kit (memory card + map sw). Take it on your family vacation and use it to find gas stations, food, etc. Wife will be impressed. I actually use it in the car more than in the plane.

YMMV,

dave

Brian, Mel's comments were spot on to my mind. I have flown a lot with the 195 in a Supercub and always found it simplicity to operate. Last year I completed an RV9A with a 296 and never became comfortable with it. While I could operate it it it would often irritate. the screen was harder to read, but then the Supercub has high wings. It would de clutter sometimes and I never decided if I did somthing or I had it set upi wrongly...or what. I am now building anRV4 and if I had to make the decision today woulkd research the B&W version or install a Skyforce IIIIC.

Hope that helps. Steve.

PS Here in the UK nothing is very high and half of the data was missing on the Garmin. Anyway, is that not why you have a window?

I fully agree with Dave's post (above) in every respect. Get the car kit. I use it more than the flying mode, but that's because I don't fly that much - yet. It can take you to a specific address anywhere the MapSource software covers. Mapsource is the computer program (on your computer) that allows you to download detailed maps of areas of the country. It is part of the "auto Kit".

The 128 MB card that comes with the auto kit holds enough data to cover detailed road information for the entire auto route from NE Ohio to S-n-F, or from NE OHio to Denver via I70, or several states in you area. IT'S AWESOME. I can't imagine how Garmin does it! To change the memory card info, plug your GPS w/cable (supplied with the kit) into a USB port, bring up MapSource, select the areas on the map to download, a couple of clicks and Garmin does the rest.

You can upload and download routes, waypoints, to and from the GPS. You can add hundres of your own waypoints. Be sure to upload them to your MapSource (computer) before updating your GPS software. They are all wiped out with a new update!

Another thing, Garmin has a FREE Log book to install on the computer for you to upload you flights that are recorded on the GPS each time you fly -- Awesome! T.O. time, airport, TE, destination, and a bunch of other data.

The auto functions no way detract from or interfere with the aviation functions or vice-versa with respect to memory usage or anything else I have noticed.

Don't forget the FREE Garmin software downloads (not aviation database) for the 296 (and other models) and MapSource. The latest software version for the 296 is 3.70. If you buy one, it would be interesting to see what it has. You will find it on the very first screen after turn-on, bottom right hand corner. Doesn't matter much because if you buy the auto kit you can update it easily. (Maybe you can update it without the auto kit, too, if USB the cable is included.)

http://www.garmin.com/support/download.jsp

A single aviatioin database udate (Jeppesen) is about $35 (credit card on line) or you can get other update options online -- no need to send a chip in to Garmin. One free aviation update is included when you buy the GPS.

I have not been disappointed when viewing in direct sunlight. Looks okay to me. If ther is a reflection, just move it.

If you don't need weather, and other fancy things for the 396, I think this is the way to go.

I'm planning to put a RAM mount on the panel of my 7A so I can angle the GPS any direction. It is cool to have it IN the panel, but not very practical.

I love my 296. I'm sold on it. Can you tell? :eek:

(I've tried the Lowrance and have had at least 4 other models of Garmin over the years. Garmin is the best in my opinion.)

Don Gray
N17QB 7A in progress
Cortland, OH

Re: 296

Thanks for all the info everyone. It is great to hear feedback from real users.

I appreciate the comments about the Car Kit and the Mapsource software.

I have had a Garmin GPS V for a few years and a GPS IIIplus for several years before that. I use the Mapsource software all the time. It is great for land based driving.

The only problem with the GPS V is that it has limited memory and a slow upload rate. So it will be replaced by the 296 if I get one.

Right now I rent when I fly so I need something portable.

I have never used an aviation GPS when flying before. I have always used charts and VORs or other navaids.

Thanks,

I?ve owned the Garmin 195, 196, and 396. Although I haven?t owned a 296, I?ve used one and it is similar to the 396. I love the 396 ? it?s very intuitive and easy to use, while the 296 operated similarly but (obviously) had fewer features. I have used the 195 for several years but didn?t like it because the menus were not intuitive and the buttons were hard to push with no feedback, although the display is very clear. The 296/396 is much easier to use with intuitive menus and easy-to-push buttons. The menus on the 296/396 are easier to use because they?re shown as tabs so you can see how to get to the sections you need. I find the color display is easy to see although not quite as viewable as the 195 in bright sunlight, but much better than the 295. I should mention that the 396 has a faster processor and a brighter/improved display compared to the 296. Also, the 196, 296, & 396 have an obstacle database to show towers and other obstructions. They disappear if you?re way above them, but appear when you get within a selectable altitude above them. I think you would like the 296.

Kevin B.
RV6A 700 hrs.
RV10 Finish

Just got my GPSMAP296.

Wow,

That is what I said when I first turned on the new 296. Thanks to all the post here about this unit, I decided to get one.

First impressions is WOW! That is a nice display! I took this thing out in the bright sun and I was amazed at the image. Then I put it in the shade with my head in the sun and was still amazed at the image.

Now to put it to real use in a plane.

Last edited:
Back