What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About Annual Condition Inspection

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
I had my Airworthiness Certificate issued in August which means my first annual inspection is due next August. I find this date inconvenient because it falls during a period when I plan to fly and it bothers me to ground my plane for an indefinite period particularly if complex SBs have to be implemented. I am mulling the idea of having my next annual inspection done in February, six months earlier than mandated. I believe that this would allow me in the future to always have it at this time of the year when I do little flying. My question to "those who know" is: Is this scheme acceptable regarding the FAA or is the Airworthiness issue date casting the future Annual dates in concrete?

There is a required 25 hr inspection for the rotax warranty, and vans recommends a 25 hr condition inspection. Then you would have 12 months from that. You can do an inspection anytime then have 12 months in between.

Check your operating limitations....

They should say

No person may operate this aircraft unless within the preceding 12 calendar
months it has had a condition inspection performed in accordance with the scope and detail to
14 CFR part 43, appendix D, or other FAA-approved programs, and was found to be in a
condition for safe operation. As part of the condition inspection, cockpit instruments must be
appropriately marked and needed placards installed in accordance with 14 CFR ? 91.9. In
addition, system-essential controls must be in good condition, securely mounted, clearly marked,
and provide for ease of operation. This inspection will be recorded in the aircraft maintenance
records.

So, it doesn't matter when you do it, as long as when you operate it (go fly), one has been done within the previous 12 cal. months.

Like Scott says, you can do it anytime.

For example, right now I'm installing a new Vizion 380 autopilot. Anytime I have the aircraft that far down, I'm going to go ahead and do a condition inspection.

Likewise, you may decide to not fly it for a period, and then do the condition inspection. I used to always get 14 months out of an annual with certified planes I owned.

Yes, in the certified world it is common to move the annual one month later each year until you get it where you want it. (Example: Annual expires 1-31-14, fly until then, do the annual 1st week in Feb, that's good until Feb 28, 2015, rinse, repeat.) I am moving my annual up from being due in July 2014 to March 2014 in one step this year, then keep it in March - before good flying season really starts. I would do Feb but its too cold in the hangar...

The FAA doesn't care if you do an annual condition every month, but after the last one it is good for the next 12 months, so you can move it as often (or not) at will. When I do either a 100 hr. or the annual condition I always include them both. the opening logbook statement says I am do both inspections. That way both are always done and both are always rest. It makes life easier and covers all inspections and all bases with Rotax and the aircraft MFG. Most of my clients move their annual condition inspections for one reason or another. The guys who fly more than 100 hrs. a year always get the annual moved because when I do the 100 hr. inspection I include the annual. Rotax doesn't care either.

Thank you all, very instructive. I still have one question and one comment:
- Some have mentioned 100 hours inspections. My understanding is that it applies only to certified airplanes, not experimentals: am I wrong?

- and a comment: after reading these answers I decided to take the repairman course asap. My search however provided little opportunities, at least for the south east of the country where I belong. The only choice I had was the seminar provided by Rainbow Aviation in Lakeland, following Sebring LSA expo. I felt lucky to get the last seat available. You guys who are in your first RV-12 flying year beware!

What does it take to get a ferry permit for an experimental these days?

I don't know About the ELSA world but in the SLSA world it takes an A&P. a LSRM-A wont do. I suspect that concept also applies to your 16 hour course not qualifying either but that's just a guess.

The 100 hr are in reference to the Rotax. It has a 25/100/200 etc... Go to http://www.rotax-owner.com

It's worth the registration fee. Videos/documentation on nearly everything.

And for clarification, the rules state that you must follow the manufacturer's "recommendations" for all maintenance. The Rotax manual actually states that these maintenance intervals are "recommended". My Rotax course instructor at Lockwood Aviation made the point that these are the same word, so you are required by the FAA rules (via their acceptance of he ASTM rules, perhaps) to do this maintenance. The nice thing about the Rotax is that you only change the oil every 100hrs if you run unleaded fuel, so it's easy to make all of these things line up, as some have suggested. Many people fly less than 100 hours per year, in which case it makes the most sense to do a 100 hour inspection (and 200 hour when necessary) when you do the condition inspection.

And for clarification, the rules state that you must follow the manufacturer's "recommendations" for all maintenance. The Rotax manual actually states that these maintenance intervals are "recommended". My Rotax course instructor at Lockwood Aviation made the point that these are the same word, so you are required by the FAA rules (via their acceptance of he ASTM rules, perhaps) to do this maintenance. The nice thing about the Rotax is that you only change the oil every 100hrs if you run unleaded fuel, so it's easy to make all of these things line up, as some have suggested. Many people fly less than 100 hours per year, in which case it makes the most sense to do a 100 hour inspection (and 200 hour when necessary) when you do the condition inspection.

For further clarification, these "rules" apply to SLSA, not ELSA. Nothing is mandatory with ELSA unless it's specified in your operating limitations.

That's why I do so many SLSA to ELSA conversions at the 5 year mark.

Also with reference to the 100 hr inspection on aircraft; If you have an LODA to use your ELSA commercially, it falls under the 100 hr inspection rules.

Last edited:
Thank you all, very instructive. I still have one question and one comment:
- Some have mentioned 100 hours inspections. My understanding is that it applies only to certified airplanes, not experimentals: am I wrong?

It only applies to aircraft being used for compensation or hire, which by law excludes E-AB aircraft.

Except, I have a LODA (waiver) allowing me to give transition training in my -10 for compensation; the LODA requires me to do a condition inspection every 100 hours or annually, whatever comes first.

Back