What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About all the c-sinking and dimpling

Harland E. [n.m. u.s.a.]

Well Known Member
We are about to prime and permanently rivet the rear spar together but it seems strange that the plans havent told us to do hardly any of the hundreds of countersinking and dimpling of the skin-to-spar holes yet on the spar itself.I wonder if its an oversight or they have you hold off on this til later for a reason we cant figure out.Any insight would help put my mind at ease,thanks.

As they state in the plans, the further you move forward in the project the more they feel you know what you need to be doing as to deburring, dimpling etc... You must dimple the rear spar before the fork goes in place or you can't get to it on one side.

Thankyou sir,

Thanks Reiley,I was thinking the same thing and remember that part of the plans but dont want to take anything for granted.Because the plans do specify the interference issue and to c-sink SOME of the holes it just seems stange.Anyone else have an explanation?

Last edited:
Thanks Reiley,I was thinking the same thing and remember that part of the plans but dont want to take anything for granted.Because the plans do specify the interference issue and to c-sink SOME of the holes it just seems stange.Anyone else have an explanation?

The doubler plates will need to be countersunk on the skin side because of their thickness. There are also a few places that use 426 rivets because of flush mounting brackets. After dimpling the actual rear spar, I also very lightly used my deburring tool to clean up the dimple so that the skin would fit a little better.

Last edited:
Back