What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A500 LED substitute?

DanH

Legacy Member
Mentor
Anyone working on an LED replacement for the Whelan A500 strobe and tail light combination?

Whelan has...

Dan,

Whelan has direct LED replacements, at least in 24V, not sure if 14v models have hit the distributors yet.

Jim

Jim,

Whelan does have the white tail light but do they have a white LED light w/ strobe combination?

Last I looked they didn't.

Like Dan, I would like to put (replace) my tail light/strobe with an LED/strobe unit.

Ad in the Feb Kitplanes

There's an ad for a combo LED/strobe replacement in the Feb Kitplanes. The manufacturer is Kuntzleman Electronics (www.kestrobes.com). I am not affiliated with them and don't know much about them. The price is advertised as $130.

There's an ad for a combo LED/strobe replacement in the Feb Kitplanes. The manufacturer is Kuntzleman Electronics (www.kestrobes.com). I am not affiliated with them and don't know much about them. The price is advertised as $130.
I saw that too. It looks pretty cool. It took me a few minutes to find it on their site, but it can be ordered from this page. http://www.kestrobes.com/heads.htm (or just click Strobe Access. at the top). Hopefully someone will try one and post a report for us.

KE Strobes combo LED tail light/strobe

I saw that too. It looks pretty cool. It took me a few minutes to find it on their site, but it can be ordered from this page. http://www.kestrobes.com/heads.htm (or just click Strobe Access. at the top). Hopefully someone will try one and post a report for us.

Well, I just ordered one today after seeing the writeup in February's Kitplane. I'll let you know how it looks when I get it.

I recently ordered Jeff's LED nav/strobe units for my wingtips, and I've already received my AeroSUN LED landing lights, so it looks like I'll have 100% LED lighting (except the strobe tubes, of course).

I just received my Kuntzleman package for my RV-10. Opened it and the stuff looks good. I'll start setting it up tomorrow and get back to everyone, but IF it works out, it's going to blow the SYS 6 package from Van away. A lot cheaper. I could be penny wise and pound foolish but I will confess if that comes to pass. My only question right now is that there are far fewer LEDs than the stuff I've seen out there so far but the light is what you want. I'll find out.
John

OK, I've tested the Kuntzleman package for an RV-10. Price was $620 + $9 shipping. I can't post attachments here but you can find some photos on the Matronics RV-10 site that I posted. Works for me.
John

Back