What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A210 service

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Has anyone who bought the ICOM A210 in that VAF group by 2 1/2 years ago needed to get it serviced? If so, do you have a recommendation of a shop?

Maybe it's because of Good Friday, but I can't seem to get any legit information from ICOM (broken links) or the (relatively) few authorized service centers they have -- only one of which is in my area.

I wish I'd taken a pass on the group buy and stuck with buying from a shop where I drop in and talk to the owner.

What's the problem you've been having, Bob?

Just curious because I've been unable to get any audio out of it through my intercom system. The screen shows Rx when receiving and Tx when I push the PTT switch, but no audio either direction. Everything else through my intercom system (the harness for which Stein wired) works just fine. It's a problem I first ran into about a year ago and just haven't had time to track down the issue.

FWIW, I sent it in a couple years ago to have the standby-frequency issue addressed, and had no problems.

Hi Bob,
I sent mine back to ICOM America in Seattle to get the firmware upgraded with the new dual monitoring features. Took about a week with.
Can you get to the back of the connector to check for power on the pins 11, 15, M and S when you have power applied (Use a paperclip to get to a contact point on a connector)? Also if you can get to the back of the connectors to check for continuity between the ground connectors and a grounding point when power is off.

I would suspect its a wiring problem versus something wrong with the radio first.

When having a problem on the A210, always check that ribbon that connects the front to the chassis. Especially if it's been pulled and reconnected while it's cold in the shop, hangar, etc.

The new ribbon cables sell for about a buck a piece, so at least they're cheap. I did replace mine, several years ago, and it's been no problem since. I also saved a Cub/clone buider in the hangar next door, as he was ready to send the radio in for repair.

L.Adamson ---RV6A

the way the radio sits and has the openings any filings will make their way into the radio, I don't care if you covered the radio, filings will make their way into the radio, ask me how I know this one. opening up the radio and blowing it out with air fixed mine.

l
The new ribbon cables sell for about a buck a piece, so at least they're cheap. I did replace mine, several years ago, and it's been no problem since. I also saved a Cub/clone buider in the hangar next door, as he was ready to send the radio in for repair.

L.Adamson ---RV6A

I think that's the likely culprit. I wouldn't know where to find those cables. I sent it back in.

the way the radio sits and has the openings any filings will make their way into the radio, I don't care if you covered the radio, filings will make their way into the radio, ask me how I know this one. opening up the radio and blowing it out with air fixed mine.

I haven't done any work on the panel with any electrics installed. In fact, this week I was just REassembling everything after doing a fair amount of cutting and filing.

Back