What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A time before......

shiney

Well Known Member
As a newbie, I'm finding that I'm spending a massive amount of time browsing the Internet. It's a mind of information (some may say too much information) and I don't know what I would do without it, from tools to engines and electrical systems, it's there at the click of a button.

But what of a time before the net? Are there any builders here who built the RV before the internet came along? What did you do for information, how did you swap ideas, tips etc? and when it came to sourcing material, products etc was it frustrating or did not know any different so you never gave it a second thought! :)

Cheers

Martin

Spoiled

Hi Martin,
I built an airplane waaaay before the 'net came along (1973/74) and it wasn't a problem at all. We simply found the EAA guys and had at it. They knew where to buy stuff and we made the phone calls. Libraries and the EAA had all the resource written material and we studied how to do things and still do.

As far as rivetting goes, heck that was done before WW2 and any mechanic could show you how in no time and still can. We learned to oxy/acetylene weld from a book and had an EAA member or IA look at it and practised some more until we got it right (still do).

We learned early on to be resourceful and the guys who were better at it than others made the fastest/cheapest progress. That still applies but it's just easier now and we've become spoiled by it.
Regards,

Martin-

FWIW...

My build class instructor, Wally Anderson from Synergy Air, said the first thing he would recommend to new builders is staying off the internet. He has some valid points in that:
1. All the options that are available can confuse, discourage, and slow builders down. If all you want is a safe, simple, basic VFR plane, Van's instructions combined with Van's builder support is more than adequate. Some people go so far beyond what is necessary that it discourages those who don't know that they don't need to do all of that to have a perfectly safe plane.
2. As always, some of what is on the internet comes from sources that may sound like they know what they're doing but don't. Thus you can occassionally get some bad advice.

On the other hand:
1. The internet can provides some great ideas that will slow you down (but will be good in the long run).
2. Seeing a single picture of an assembly is often times worth 25,000 words that Van's puts in their instructions. Internet is invaluable for that.
3. Internet provides some consolation when you make the inevitable mistakes. It's nice to know others are having your same frustrations. I think Van's owes a lot to these forums for this alone in that it probably makes up for those who quit building becuase of #1 on the first list.
4. Most builders will keep their advice to non-structural issues and suggest you check with Van's on the things that matter structurally. I try to do this myself when posting.... just provide moral support and or non-structural ideas.

As far as I am now in my project, I know that building without the internet was definitely possible. I also know I've really benefited from #1-4 on the second list. My suggestion in general, then, is to start building and just use the internet as much as you find necessary and helpful. If it starts to frustrate you, ignore it and go back to the manual and Van's support and you should be OK. Good luck

Manufacturer's data..

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Martin-

FWIW...

On the other hand:
1. The internet can provides some great ideas that will slow you down (but will be good in the long run).
2. Seeing a single picture of an assembly is often times worth 25,000 words that Van's puts in their instructions. Internet is invaluable for that.
3. Internet provides some consolation when you make the inevitable mistakes. It's nice to know others are having your same frustrations. I think Van's owes a lot to these forums for this alone in that it probably makes up for those who quit building becuase of #1 on the first list.
4. Most builders will keep their advice to non-structural issues and suggest you check with Van's on the things that matter structurally. I try to do this myself when posting.... just provide moral support and or non-structural ideas.
Good luck

ADD

5. Most manufacturer's data sheets and user manuals are now on-line.

In spite of what Tim Allen says, they usually know best... :)

I'm still amused at the VAF post that asked for the max. cure temperature for WEST epoxy. 13 replies, and not one looked at the WEST Epoxy web site, where the user manual was ONE click away... :D

gil in Tucson - check the data sheets first...

You can save many hours....

There are parts to building that are mechancial and structural. Van's instructions, drawings, and the kit itself did pretty well in telling me how to do those.

Then there are the parts of the airplane that are more "art" than "science" - canopy, canopy skirt, baffles, etc.... For those, I found that some of the web sites with tons of photos (Dan Checkoway, you know who you are!) were invaluale in showing me a good way to do the task.

But.....sooner or later, you've got to get of the internet, and back out into the workshop, or you're never gonna finish! :rolleyes:

Paul

Back