What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A shout out for Larry Vetterman...

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
There is another thread discussing Vetterman exhaust systems. Part of the thread dealt with hangars, hangar material, where to connect, etc.

I mentioned in a post to that thread that my two rear hangars, made from brake line, had both failed at the sump, where they were crushed and bent to fit. I asked for suggestions on other materials and methods.

I purchased my plane and it had the Vetterman exhaust. I have never contacted Larry, and have never purchased anything from him.

Imagine my surprise when I got a long e-mail from Larry yesterday evening, giving some history of the hangar methods and materials he currently uses, and giving suggestions on how to make my system more reliable.

I want to say that this speaks volumes about his dedication to experimental aviation, and to individuals that he has never met or had contact with. I am truly impressed and any exhaust components or systems I need in the future will be purchased from Larry.

Could you share that with us?

Basic things:

- Use stainless steel tube instead of soft standard brake line, SS is stronger.
- Don't repeatedly bend the tubes at the crush point as that quickly weakens that area.
- If mounting hose on the tubes, clean the tubes with alcohol or lacquer thinner before assembly as no amount of clamping pressure will hold them in position with oil on them.

All good stuff, and much appreciated by me...

Shameless plug for Larry

Like some or most of you, I havent had the pleasure of meeting Larry in person. But, several emails, a couple of phone conversations, and working on another project convinced me that Larry is a upstanding guy, with a great reputation. I have seen many RVs with his exhaust, and his product speaks for itself. I have heard of guys having little issues over the years. Lets face it, even the best of parts can have issues. Gee with the exhaust temps that you guys have, and the hours on some of them, I'm amazed how they last as long as they do. I have also heard that Larry has taken the inititive to fix issues that may have arisen. That goes beyond the call in my opinion.
Tom

Larry Vetterman

I'd like to join those in singing Larry's praises. I recently asked him to build a one-off exhaust for a custom O-320 I'm building which required me to send him cylinders and the sump so he could make a mock-up for my engine. He did this exhaust and custom intake tubes within a month working after hours.

I gave him a blank check before he started, knowing how much work he would have to do to get this engineered for me, I expected 10-20 more hours to be billed minimum. Turns out he charged me only three or four hours extra from the cost of stock exhaust from Van. Custom Exhaust with custom intake tubes, all one-off, for less than $1000.00!

and it's a Vetterman :)

Thanks Larry
Ron Patterson
N8ZD

Back