What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A&P requirement

Bavafa

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone knows if we our experience of building could be substitute for the work experience that is required for an A&P Cert. I have built three RVs and have been maintaining them for over 15 years now and it would be great if that will satisfy the work experience that is required.

Thanks in advance

Building/maintaining experience CAN be used to help satisfy the requirements - a lot is left up to the individual Inspector who signs off on your application so that you can test. The biggest problem for many is that building RV’s doesn’t teach you much about tube and fabric….or building engines….or turbines….or those awful questions about fire detection systems….or antique generator systems.

In short - all hours are not equal, and your inspector might make you show experience with a wider range of aircraft tHan just metal light airplanes.

The scariest thing about my A&P is that it allows me to work on anything that flies….large turbine aircraft, helicopters, civilianized military aircraft… it is - humbling!

Back