What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A nicer place to stop on the east side of the Sierras?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

So I'm headed back from OSH tomorrow after a front passes through and it looks like my most likely location to stop. Something in the SWish corner of Wyoming?

Something with a nice town close to the airport or a place I can setup my tent on field? (of course I'd need fuel)

I'd try Afton (AFO). Nice little town and airport, and fuel is fairly cheap according to Airnav. The Aviat (Husky) factory is on the field.

Kemmerer, WY has a nice town nearby. If you call ahead, the airport manager will leave the keys to the airport car for you.

Another usual stop for me is Evansville, WY. Nice town with a great steakhouse nearby, and the airport manager lives in a mobile home on the airport.

Hi ya'll thanks for the leads. I'll do a bit of research and possibly make the final decision in the air (depending on weather). I'll post back with my findings (for future web searchers ;))

Okay - based on some advice I received here I stopped at Big Piney (KBPI). I have to say it was awesome. The FBO is new and very posh, they loaned me a car a hangar and even let me stay overnight in their guest room. The owner (Joe) was super friendly.

If you are arriving at the Sierras too late to miss all the thunderstorms this is a great stop.

Wind River Air

Kev, I knew you'd like that. That's why I'll throw a shameless plug towards them any time I can. When I first got the PNA FBO (sold it), my airline driver buddies would call down with fake N numbers & ask my fuel prices. I'd answer and they'd repeat it, along with a "wow that's a great price". That'd go over the air like 400 miles. Aviation is highly "word of mouth". Kind of a "do unto others" sorta thing.

Back