What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Ignition Spark Plugs

bobg56

Well Known Member
Does anyone happen to know which spark plugs the A ignition fires? When I turn off B it seems to run a bit rougher and has about 150 rpm drop than when B is off...B drop is around 100-120 drop. I know the drop is well within limits but the roughness is noticable.

Is a cylinder going cold at that point? Sounds like you may only be on 1 plug. If so you should also see a elevated EGT on that cylinder with both ignitions on.

Does anyone happen to know which spark plugs the A ignition fires?

You don’t say if you’ve got a ULS or iS, so here are the relevant sections from each Rotax Heavy Maintenance Manual.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0926.jpeg
    IMG_0926.jpeg
    412.4 KB · Views: 59
Yes I do it @ 4000

I check ignitions in-flight almost every time I fly. Maybe 50 RPM drop at 5400 cruise RPM - barely perceptible. Engine runs equally smooth on either ignition when in cruise flight. I consider this a good check for determining ignition heath...

I found the info I needed A does 1T 2T 3B 4B...also saw a Lockwood video that says to pull the choke out slowly, if engine runs smoother it's a carb issue, if it gets worse then ignition...thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Back