What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A few proseal questions

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
I bought the quart sized flamemaster brand sealant from Vans and I'd like to make sure everything is going the way it's supposed to. So far I've used it to seal the TE of the rudder and right elevator.

When I first opened the quart there was a brown piece of paper stuck to the top of the sealant. I had to peel it off, and it took a bit of sealant with it. The sealant is about the consistency of wet taffy - very thick and hard to stir.

I mixed it at 10:1 with the hardner using a digital scale and applied it to the trailing edges. I let it harden for a few days until it was no longer gooey before riveting the edges.

Even now, several weeks later, the sealant is still somewhat rubbery - perhaps the hardness of a pencil eraser. Is this right? Will it get any harder than this? Is it supposed to be this thick before applying?

Sounds like you did it right. After curing, the sealant will be hard yet rubbery like a tire or o-ring. Cool temperatures will cause it to be stiff and difficult to spread. If you can get it to room temperature (70F or so) it will be more workable for application. Warmer temps will also help it cure faster, cold temps will take much longer.

Thanks Bruce. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing things right, and it's good to hear from others.

It needs to be a bit flexible so it won't form cracks that could later leak. That is not a worry for the TE application, where you are using it simply as a temporary glue.

Back