What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Fein Tool

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I have been wanting to try an oscillating tool for some time now and I purchased a Fein Multi tool a few weeks ago. The tool came with many attachments, cutting, scraping, sanding etc but what I have found it to be really good at is cutting fibre glass parts. The kerf, or cutting width, is extremely small at .022". It is very easy to cut a straight line even on a thin unsupported part like the side of a cowling that is shown in this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWrSTMJ4Ixk&sns=em
Note the almost absence of dust. As there are no whirling blades or cutters the dust created just falls to your feet. This is a major advantage to this sort of tool. It also makes a cut like this faster then the rotary tools that I have preciously used. As well it is extremely safe to use and it is possible to lightly touch the moving blade with absolutely no negative effect. I have tried the sanding attachments and found that it is no better then an standard electric orbital sander for large surfaces but for small stuff, with weird shapes, it excels. It is possible to sand areas that previously had to be done by hand, for example the rain gutter around the door on an RV10.
I can see that this would a perfect tool for work around the house, such as cutting wood trim.
Yes there are less expensive versions out there and I have not tried them but this is one quality piece of equipment and should last for many years.

Thanks to Gary Wilcox for the video and utube posting

I bought one about a year ago to cut the canopy with but found it didn't work very well in that application. A right angle high speed drill from Harbor Freight and the abrasive wheel that came with the finish kit worked much better. Having said that, I have used it for lots of other stuff including trimming the fiberglass cowl. It is a wonderful tool to cut wood trim around the house and vinyl siding and a hundred other things. Haven't used the knock off's but the Fein is a quality tool that will last a lifetime.

Back