What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A ECI/FI linkage question

Paul K

Well Known Member
I have searched the forums from top to bottom and can't find a photo of exactly what I am looking for but am sure this problem has been solved already by others with the same setup.

I have a IO360 ECI kit with cold air horizontal induction. Mounted to the front of it is the Precision Silver Hawk throttle body. installed the Vetterman 4 pipe. I had the linkage kinda figured out until I installed the Starter from my Van's FWF kit. I have to completely rethink the gas supply line from the fuel pump and the mixture linkage. There just isn't any room and the brackets supplied by Vans are of no help.

Before I start reinventing the linkage, is there someone out there who already has the solution to this situation? Photos would be a big help.

Last edited:
Are you looking for linkage for the throttle cable? Or something else?

I am pretty sure I have the same setup you do although I have an IO-340 instead of the IO-360. The fuel injection and forward facing cold air induction should be identical to yours.

I hear ya, man ...

I scratched my head a bunch dealing with both those questions on my IO-320 with Silverhawk. I think I have a routing for the pump to servo hose, and I know I have to change the firewall penetration for my mixture cable. When I get the cowl off sometime today I'll send pics. BTW,does the mixture linkage on your Silverhawk hang down or stick up? (They're available either way.)

Hey Steve,

It's the mixture linkage trying to be in the same place as both the back of the starter and the gas line above the oil sump. I can already see that the Van's supplied gas line is going to have to be replaced with a longer one and rerouted and the FI mixture lever is going to have to be reoriented and controlled from the bottom rather than the top (my best guess so far). I'm really looking for you guys who have already figured this out and may have a photo or two.

Terry,

Right now the arm is up but I think I can loosen the nut and change it to the down position. This would also require direct connect to the control cable without using the hardware from Van's.

Photos would be great!

This what you are looking for?

I made this bracket out of steel plate. Seems to work just fine.

And this one for the prop control. The image is looking directly up from the bottom.

The mixture control I bought from Attaway air

Don

Last edited:
Oops ... I'll be of no help...

Sorry, Paul. I just noticed you have horizontal induction. Mine's vertical. Totally different critters. :(

so you're saying you got an eci kit engine but without the eci fuel injection, yet the cold air induction?

we do have a mattituck with eci cold air and eci f.i.

so the bracket for the throttle we had to make on our own:
http://www.flyvans.com/builder/ecithrottlebracket.pdf
but that is for the eci throttle body... don't know if it will work with the one you have.

and the mixture bracket for the eci fuel injection pump is the one we also got through attawayair.com

hoping that may give you helpful hints

rgds,
bernie

funny how much difference there is.

Ok, after reading your post a little closer I do see there are differences since you have the Silver Hawk FI. I am using the ECI FI system with ECI's forward facing cold air induction. The mixture control linkage does not run forward to the throttle body on their setup. It is run to the fuel pump at the back of the engine.

As far as the throttle cable, I did have to use a different throttle cable than what Van's supplied in my firewall forward kit. I bought this A-800 CONTROL 5 BLACK KNOB part number 05-8660 and this SLOTTED BRACKET CNTRL MT 10465 from Aircraft Spruce. This setup works very well for my configuration. I think it could work well for your mixture control. Again, I don't have any pics of this setup but will try to get some taken. If you have not seen these A-800 cables, the end fitting, just after the cable housing ends, has a groove in it. The 10465 control mount has a sliding/locking lever that slides into this groove and secures the cable to the bracket. I screwed the control mount 10465 directly into the bottom plenum where the threaded holes are. It fit perfectly with an AN-3 (or maybe it was a -4, I can't remember) bolt.

As for the fuel lines, mine are fire sleeved lines run from the fuel pump to the throttle body on the right side of the engine (looking from the back to the front of the engine) underneath cylinder 1 & 4. Then a line runs up from the throttle body between the 1 & 4 cylinders through the inter-cylinder baffling to the spider control on the top of the engine.

Sorry I don't have any pictures. I will try to get some at a later date and post here.

Last edited:
Bernie,

I have the ECI kit with the ECI cold air but with the Precision Silver Hawk FI.

I am starting to see what I am going to have to do. Custom brackets! No problem, I'm a guy! Right?

Steve,

I hadn't thought to look to see if I could run the fuel line on the right side of the engine. I'll look as soon as I get home. Thanks,

throttle and mixture control brackets and linkage

I have an AeroSport IO 360 with superior cold air sump, horizontal induction. I just installed vettermans crossover exhaust but am not seeing much similarity to Vans FF kit in terms of bracket and linkage installation. I want to use the Vans linkage but doesnt appear to align with any predrilled holes in the sump for the brackets. Im not even sure the linkage system will work. Does anyone have some photos of this or similar system. Thanx

For the Aerosport IO360 horzontal system Vans kit doesn't really work you need to make your own brackets. PM me for details of what I did. I don't have a web site for my pix so I'll sent them directly to you.

a heads up to everyone running the continental constant flow fuel injection system (of which the ECI/airmotive engineering f.i. is a 4 cyl adaptation), there has been a service bulletin published regarding the replacement of the "bronze" levers by new stainless steel levers during the next 100h inspection. should be an easy fix (assuming there is no shortage of replacement levers).

www. tcmlink.com/pdf2/CSB08-3B.pdf

Sorry for possibly having caused confusion... I did follow up on the issue and found that the ECI F.I. is not affected by this SB!

rgds, bernie

Last edited:
Back