What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

a dumb questions for RV-10 builders

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I have owned an RV-10 for 3+ years and have flown it nearly 500 hours. I didn't build it. It is a great airplane and I have been enjoying it immensely.

Today, while I was on the ground, I noticed that the left aileron is deflected significantly more upward when I have the stick fully to the left compared to the right aileron deflection when the stick is against the right stop. I got out of the airplane and checked it more carefully and sure enough, the rivet line on the front edge of the left aileron disappears up under the trailing edge of the wing when fully deflected but when I deflect the right aileron upward that rivet line is still visible behind the trailing edge of the wing.

I just never noticed it before. Of course in normal flight I would never have a need to put the stick against the stop (in either direction). So the question:

Are all RV-10s like this, or is mine unusual? Should I be concerned?

BTW, the airplane flies fine with a little bit of the ball out of center to the right in cruise flight.

Thoughts?

After having rigged our over a year ago, I would say it just needs to be rigged centered. Adjustments can be made on the control rods. Then your stick control rods will need to be adjusted to center the stick again.
Ron

Bruce, that's not normal--it should be symmetrical. Are both ailerons hitting the stops at the upper limit (on the inboard side of the ailerons)? If so, the highest position of each aileron should be the same regardless of how it's rigged. Something else must be going on.

-Rob

Bruce

Firstly it's not a dumb question! It doesn't sound right.

It might be a good idea to get the manual out and check all the rigging. You'll need a rigging tool which fits on the aileron bell crank to centre the ailerons to start.
If you haven't got one I'm sure it would be very cheap as it's just a flat piece of Ali with a few cut outs and holes.

Peter

Quick guide to rigging

The aileron rigging is done from the aileron toward the stick.

As was stated above, you use a tool to hold the aileron bellcrank in place, and then you adjust the short pushrod to set the aileron itself to neutral, and then with the tool still in place, you adjust the long pushrod to get a specific amount of it sticking out past the root rib.

This is done to both wings, and the stick is set to neutral, and then the inner pushrods hooked up.

I found the answer

The problem is with the Tru-Trak roll servo. The over-center stop is reached on the right wing before the aileron is fully deflected upward. The fix will be to slightly lengthen the actuator arm so that the aileron will go fully up just before the over-center stop is reached.

I looked at the plans, but I couldn't find a hard stop for the stick throw or the ailerons. I am not a builder so I may just not know what to look for. Any help here would be appreciated.

The airplane flies fine (as it has for 500 hours), but I would like to fix this issue.

Back