What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Curious Puncture

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
It is disappointing to walk out to the hangar, anticipating a quick morning flight, and find your airplane sitting on a wheel pant ? deflated black rubber oozing out from underneath. Not quite as disappointing as that sudden feeling of deceleration when the tire blows on landing, of course, but nevertheless, it can mess up your morning! I have been flying the Val almost every day, and as a matter of fact, had checked the tire pressure just last Sunday for the first time in months. It seemed like she was getting a little harder to pull in and out of the hangar, a usual sign that the tires need air.

But when I checked, the pressures were right where I put them about five months ago, when I installed these tires (standard Van?s tires that came in the RV-3 kit ? I figured I might as well use them before they aged?). When I saw the flat, I naturally figured that it was caused by my checking the pressures the other day ? perhaps the valve not seating properly, and the safety cap gasket leaking. So I jacked things up, added air, spit-checked the valve for leaks (found no bubbles), and went on my way for a short flight to get fuel. A couple hours later, I went out to the hangar ? and once again, she was settling down on that tire! Out came the jack, and this time, the wheel came off and I disassembled it on the work bench. Fortunately, we keep spare tubes on hand(Michelin AirStops), so it didn?t take long to put it all back together. (What took the time was that it was evident from ear patterns that it was time to flip the tires on the rim anyway ? which meant I had to do the OTHER tire as well. And, oh well, three years on the brake pads ? I finally got through the wear notch, so it was time to change those too?.)

Once I had the airplane airworthy, I inflated the bad tube, and checked for leaks, and this is what I found:

IMG_4068.JPG

It?s a small line of nicks on the shoulder of the tube ? about where the tread meets the sidewall. Only the largest was making bubbles, but it looks like something linear caused the damage. As normal, I inspected the inside of the tire by running my ginger tips around, feeling for anything that might cause a puncture, and didn?t find anything. I DO re-use tubes (after inspecting them) a few times, so it is possible this started with a previous tire. I?ll probably never know ? just found it interesting. A good reason to do a thorough inspection every time the tires, tubes, and wheels are apart!

Paul

I DO re-use tubes (after inspecting them) a few times.

Paul, you might have answered your own question of why this happened.

DESSER TIRE AND RUBBER CO......

A Word About Using Used Aircraft Tire Tubes

Aircraft tubes are made of natural rubber and are made slightly undersize, so they fill fit easily into a new tire. Aircraft-tire plies are made of nylon, and tires will "grow" slightly, in service. The tube will also grow, and will eventually take a permanent set to the (now) larger inside-tire dimension.

If this now-larger tube is later put into a new tire, it may be too large for the inside-tire cavity, with the result that the tube may have folds in it. In service, these folds may eventually wear through and destroy the tube's ability to hold air.

A slow wearing through will result in a slow leakage of air, and the pilot will be alerted to the problem before it becomes too serious. However, if the tube is torn in a particular takeoff, the tire will probably go flat in mid-air, without the pilot having realized what is wrong. Considering the risks in reinstalling a used inner tube, we recommend a new tube be installed in a new tire.

I had a similar flat, and when I removed the tube, here's what I found. It turned out to be caused by a paper tag stuck onto the inside of the tire!

I removed the other main tube and found the same thing (immenent failure).

The paper tag had hardened up and abraded the tubes.

IMG_1229.JPG

Vern

same problem

I had the same problem with the Desser slow leak tubes. It had many little cuts like in the picture. It did let go as I taxied to my hangar. I sent it to desser and they replaced it. The tube was about one year old when it failed.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Paul, that picture shows the exact same failure mode that the nose wheel inner tubes have on their side wall when not thoroughly dusted up with baby powder. I had three or four flats in the nose wheel in a couple years until I put tons of powder in them, then zero since. My theory is that the tube gets stretched locally to failure due to some funny bias in the flexing.

Great comments - which was the intent of posting it! It is interesting to see other people's pictures - tube wear is often discussed, but rarely documented.

I do think this has something to do with re-using the same tube in a DIFFERENT tire (as suggested by the Desser paragraphs, the same size tires from different companies can have different shapes). I usually use Desser retreads, but decided to use these because they were on hand.

And like Alex, I use tons of powder when I install tires/tubes. Pretty much dust the entire interior. I probably just wore this tube out, and got my service from it.

Paul

Paul I had the same thing happen to me a year ago. I found a small string in the tire that had not been completely covered in the manufacture of the tire. It wore ( cut ) the tube. I cut the cord ( string ) out and smoothed it out by finishing the end of the string with a lighter. No more problems. Poor inspection on the manufactures end. Now I inspect all tires closely before I insert the tubes.

Yes, Me2

Paul,

I had exactly the same thing happen last year (about 170 hrs) in. I came down just a bit rough on a landing in eastern Tenn. in some turbulance. I was there checking out a pilot community. :D

A few hours later the owner brought me back to the strip for my return flight and the right wheel pant was on the ground. Oops. When we removed the tube the mark on the tube looked identical to your photo. I forgot the baby powder in the original assembly. My theory is the chaffing accelerated the tube wear and the rough landing accelerated to the leak.

I put new tubes and tires on the "Dancer" a week later with copious amounts of baby powder during the assembly. With this set I rarely have to add air to keep them at good presure.

Me too!

I had a similar flat, and when I removed the tube, here's what I found. It turned out to be caused by a paper tag stuck onto the inside of the tire!

I removed the other main tube and found the same thing (immenent failure).

The paper tag had hardened up and abraded the tubes.

IMG_1229.JPG

Vern

I had the same looking abrasion on my tube also, but, couldn't find anything inside the tire. Since it let go during a landing I'm guessing the fod departed on roll out. I will be checking the other tire now.

Also, I've been flying your AMX-2A for a little more than a year and it works perfectly. Thanks.

Back