What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A couple of questions

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
Hello, and thanks for being patient with me.
I have 4 aluminum strips about 2 inches wide and 3 ft or so long that were taped together with a label on them that says "TRIM BUNDLE WING". Does anyone know what these are? Also I was wondering how much of a gap needs to be between the flap top skin and the side of the fuse. I could not find a measurement for that and wondered what minimum could be ok.
Thanks!

Trim Strips

The trim strips are used inside the wingtips to reinforce the fiberglass for nutplate attachment. Usually bonded with epoxy.

Can't help you with the gap measurement since I'm building an 8.

Mike

On my RV9A, two of the trim bundle strips are used as joiners between the leading edge and the tank.

On my RV9A, two of the trim bundle strips are used as joiners between the leading edge and the tank.

I've feeling that I also used that trim-stuff for that purpose but found out later that there were specific strips for leading edge - tank section. Thickness and the dimensions were pretty much same so no harm done.

Unless Van's has changed their terminology, the "Trim Bundles" are just some extra pieces of aluminum that they send along for practice and random bits and pieces you might need. Generally speaking, if it doesn't have some sort of specific part number (even a part number that just tells you the size and thickness), then it is just scrap to be used as required.

At least that is the way it was a couple of years ago on the -8 kits!

Paul

Strange

I never had anything like that in our RV-6A kit. If I searched and could find nothing to explain it that would drive my OCD mind crazy. I would have to call the company and ask them directly what it is for and why it is not accounted for in the documentation?

Bob Axsom

I agree with Paul, "Trim bundle" is the extra aluminum that VANS sends out for practice or other usage that may come up. Now, there is a small about 1/2" wide stripe that gets used on the end of wing tip if one is going to nut plate the wing tip to the wing.

As for the gap goes, I made it to 1/16" and it looks very good but in flight the force of air pushes it against the fuse and has left a very small mark in the paint.

Mehrdad
RV7A - IO360M1B

I never had anything like that in our RV-6A kit. If I searched and could find nothing to explain it that would drive my OCD mind crazy. I would have to call the company and ask them directly what it is for and why it is not accounted for in the documentation?

Bob Axsom

My -6 wings came with the trim bundle (circa '93 kit). It is also on the inventory sheet. I had the same concern about use. I used some of them to make rib rivet-line marking tools - worked out great. I have plenty of sheet around the shop for other odds and ends. When AS sells in 2'X2' sizes, you end up with plenty of leftovers...haha

Back