What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A couple of canopy questions

Charles in SC

Well Known Member
1. What is the thickness of the canopy? Is it the same all over. The drawing 43 in the detail drawings that are labeled as full scale vary from 1/8 to 3/16 inch. I have not cut mine yet and so I cannot check the various places shown.

2. For those of you that repainted the canopy frame, what color did you use and why? I just finished fitting mine and it is a little battle scarred.

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, it is about 3/16". However, don't do any metal or plexi trimming/cutting based on the measured thickness. Put off any cuts and trims for as long as you can lest you make a mistake (don't ask me why I am telling you this).

You can paint it whatever color you want! Due to my scuffing up the powder coat, I removed it and painted the frame with Rustolium rattle can paint (almond color). I used this paint for the cockpit area and it has been holding up surprisingly well. To remove the powder coat, I used a paint stripper. This worked well on the round tubes but, for whatever reason, not so well on the square tubes. It took several applications and a lot of scraping to get it off, whereas for the round parts it bubbled right off. Strange.

I've done two, both varied in thickness around the canopy. The newer bubble more so, from about 7/32" to about 3/32". I was surprised at the variation, though in the end both canopies (for the same proect, unfortunately) came out fine.

Back