What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A classic Case of not reading the instructions all the way through

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
So I have gotten into a really bad habit of not reading the instructions fully and just following the plans, well when it came to adding the stiffiner rings to the tank access holes, I just lined them up how they looked good and drilled away, no aligning the flat portion of the "Cap" to the stiffiner bead. One one of the Ribs I got Extremly Lucky and it lines us parrallel to the bead but the other is off pretty bad. I believe I have thought through all the issues that could arise from this and there are none that are major. However when it came to making an anti hang up bracket, this would not be straight up and down. I decided to continue on knowing that I may have to redo the entire piece but I thing It may work out alright, Do you see any issues with the Hang up bracket not being exactly perpendicular to the spar??

IMG_8263.jpg

Just test it out

It's probably fine. Even if done exactly to plans, it's best to check it out as there is considerable variation in the length of the flop tubes. I'd get the assembly clecoed together and temporarily install the flop tube (leave the baffle out so you can see) and rotate the tank around to make sure the tube doesn't hang up.

On mine, the diagonal bracket shown in the plans would have been a sure bet to hangup the flop tube, so I ended up with something different.

Here are my anti-hangup brackets. I intentionally oriented the rings slightly differently than plans so the tooling hole would be centered on a blank portion of the ring. Also you can see that my brackets are not centered on the hole. I did this so they would rub on the metal portion of the flop tube rather than the rubber, but I also like the fact that it makes for easier access to reach in the tank if necessary.

20070802-03-tn.jpg

...and here is the version of the anti-hangup bracket on the next rib.

20070811-06-tn.jpg

Good luck! :)

mcencula: You may want to just block off that hole in the rib instead of that bracket, having it there makes the one way trap door useless. Its designed to hold the fuel in that bay when the fuel (and flop tube) are on top of that rib in say a knife edge attitude.

titkiguy: The rib with the crooked backup ring, it looks like it is also too far forward and not going to cover the tooling hole in the rib unless your cover plate is of a larger diameter (I don't think the stock Vans one is.)

Ya i noticed the tooling hole as well, I am going to end up ordering all new parts today and just redoing it, Will be much easier/Safer this way. Thanks for you help,
-david

Back