What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A's Performance Demonstrated

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Sometimes my RV just amazes me and makes me smile. This weekend was one of those times with the following happening on the same short flight. Departing we blew past a Mooney that had taken off before us, and landing we were passed by a Citabria that was landing on the parallel runway. Does it get any better than that? :D

Amazing Machines

Hi Bryan,

Early this year we flew as a flight of two from SAT to BBRSP. The other couple was in their Mooney 201 and we in the 9a. Typical Mooney sop (I had a J model for 12 years prior to the RV) is to fly wot and 2500 rpm and, depending on the cleanliness of the J model airframe, you could expect between 156 and 162 ktas from 6500 to 10,500 ft.

Janie and I let the Mooney take the lead and set the pace (I knew he would be wot), we sat back in loose trail at his 8 o'clk position until about 50 miles out from BBRSP. Our TAS was roughly 158 kts. The other couple had never been there, knew it was possible to land at the wrong ranch (is this true Paul?), so I heard the following:

9DB, I will slow down so you can take the lead and show us the airfield.

My reply was: 83H, no need to slow down--we will go ahead and circle the field to identify it.

I pushed the throttle in and as we were going by the Mooney I noted the TAS on the Dynon was passing through 174 kts.

Amazing machines indeed!!!

Cheers,

db

That Mooney thing

My hangar partner says other Mooney owners invest in fairings, gap seals and other speed mods. But he, like your friend, just flies wot. The "201" in the model name means 201 mph top speed and you only get there at wot.

Steve

Sometimes my RV just amazes me and makes me smile. This weekend was one of those times with the following happening on the same short flight. Departing we blew past a Mooney that had taken off before us, and landing we were passed by a Citabria that was landing on the parallel runway. Does it get any better than that? :D

The thing about a performance competition is, both parties must know that they are competing...

Outrunning a Mooney is one thing, Landing shorter than a Citabria without trying probably means he wasn't trying either....:rolleyes:

Just my $.02

No No No

The thing about a performance competition is, both parties must know that they are competing...

Outrunning a Mooney is one thing, Landing shorter than a Citabria without trying probably means he wasn't trying either....:rolleyes:

Just my $.02

Sorry for the confusion. I never meant to imply I landed shorter than the Citabtia, even though I think it worked out that way. He was on a straight in for the left runway and when I rolled onto final from base for the right. This put me at 500' and just barely in front of him. Before I touched down he was ahead of me. My .02 and I was there.

My .02 and I was there.

Touche' (or however you spell it :rolleyes:)

But seriously, I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, even though it probably came out that way. That's the problem with the written word, but I digress.

Vans Aircraft (all models) out preform anything I have seen, (even before you look at the price) for all around greatness.

But I do have a soft spot in my heart for Citabrias.

Back