What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A Where to lift fuselage for landing gear

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Got the wings on and want to install gear legs. (engine mounted) I have 6"temp bolts so theres about 1 1/2" of bolt shaft that I could attach to in wing spar. Should I lift the fuselage off by the bolts or wrap a sling around fuselage at spar?
Thanks guys. Ron in Oregon

What i did

I borrowed a friends motorcycle jack (get one a harbor frieght cheap) and build a wooded 6x6 box. Lifted the plane with that right under the spar. Good solid and stable. I have seen others use jacks cranked up to the tie down points.

Liked my way better.

We jacked our 7a with cylinder jacks from harbor freight (search the site for plans) at the tiedowns points using tiedowns balls from Cleveland tool. Then placed saw horses longitudinally to pick up the fwd and rear soars. Used lots of foam too. Stayed that way for 5 weeks as our gear was getting redrilled to fix a toe- in problem.
Phelps

I used a nylon tow rope from Walmart and weaved it through the motor mount. Used the cherry picker to lift the fuse.

Jim Wright,didn't you sell me rudder pedals back a few years ago? Man O Man everybody loves them! Thanks for the tips guys, going to try it today. Ron in Oregon

I used a 3 ton floor jack and numerous pieces of scrap 6X6 deck poles, supported the tail and jacked the plane up placing the 6X6's under the center section at the wing spars. I used a scrap piece of carpet between the topmost piece of lumber and the fuselage skin. I was careful to make sure I had the weight balanced on the jack. I didn't have the engine on when I did this.

All went well. Lifted the plane with a little of all suggestions. A 2X4 above of the hoisted chain kept fuselage square so the the chains didn't come up at a angle to squeeze the fuselage. Rolled out for first time on the gear. Thanks guys.
Ron in Oregon

Back