What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A Quick Build Canopy

bugsy63

G'day.
I'm contemplating taking over a 9A quick build project. No work has been done on the fuse at this point. The kit was delivered for a tip up canopy. Without sparking the Tip up vs Slider debate, is it difficult/viable to complete the airframe with a sliding canopy by ordering the appropriate drawings and parts.
My assumption is that the QB fuse's are supplied with either a "tip up" or "slider" sub kit, but are otherwise identical. There is no finishing kit associated with this project yet.

Thanks in anticipation

Michael

Should be able to change over

If the forward top ribs aren't in yet you should be able to convert over. There are some differences on the F-705 bulkhead between a slider and tip up. Vans has the sub assemble packages to make the change. I called Van's to find out about converting over at one time myself. I don't remember if the forward top skin came in the finishing kit or fuselage kit. Not at home to look at parts list.

I'm doing a slider on my QB fuselage, and the forward skin came with my fuselage kit. I think for the F-705, the QB should be without rivets in the locations that would be used to attach the roll bar part that makes up the back portion of the canopy. On my plans I just fill those holes in with more rivets since I don't use them.

I also remember there is some detail on two small plates (http://n396dk.org/fuselage/images/090806-1.jpg) that are done different based on the canopy.

The last detail is probably in the first top skin behind the cockpit. In order to do the slider there is a doubler plate that supports the slider guide. I haven't gotten there yet, so I don't know exactly what needs to be done. Tonight when I get home I'll look at the packing sheets and see if there is anything else that jumps out at me. My plans came with both sets and a bunch of notes to do X if you have slider and Y if tip-up.

Doubler plate - rear top skin ...

If you're talking about the triangle shaped doubler at the fwd edge of the rear top skin, the tip up has it too. My QB fuse looked to me as if it would accomodate either tipper or slider. I don't recall any areas where the tipper requirements were done for me by Filipinos. ;)

Back