What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A QB flap faring questions

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
This is for all you QB wing 9A builders-
Was about to rivet my flap farings when I discovered I had not received any 426-3-3 rivets with my kit. I know the plans call for 3-3 rivets to attach the flap faring to the top skin. Anyone else have this problem? Van hasn't changed the rivet size has he?

Also--
With the QB wing which of course has the bottom skin riveted in place, it's kind of tough to get to some of the rivets that set the flap faring to the rear spar. I know it can be done by using the access plates and the lightening holes but I was wondering if anyone has used blind rivets for this part and if so what size?

BTW-don't need any smart remarks about how I should have done a slow build wing thank you.

I had the same problem with those rivets. I called Vans and they sent them out to me, takes about 220. For the flap brace to spar on the plans, it's on DWG 14, near the top beneath where it says "Top View", it says for QB owners to use blind rivets here. The first three which is for the doubler on the inboard side, use three cherrymax rivets, the rest are standard blind rivets.

I tried 3.5's, but they seemed to bend over too easily.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I used 3.5's here, even though I had plenty of -3's in the drawer -- seemed to give a better shop head. Have you tried measuring a 3.5 with the gauge in this spot to see how it looks?

There are also other places where -3's are called out and they are not long enough, most notably the flap or aileron trailing edge (can't remember which)

Back