What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9a Newbie

soul

I'm New Here
Hey All,

Just a quick hello and how much i enjoy reading about all your rv9a projects.
I have just ordered preview plans and look foward in starting to build soon. look fowards to future chats, and some good advise.

cheers

john

welcome

lots of good info to be found here. the search tool can put you in touch with a wealth of info. good luck on your project look forward to hearing from you.
steady as she goes. esp with shipping to austrailia :D

Welcome!

Welcome, just do a little each day and before you know those HS 908 brackets that you will build first will start looking like an airplane!

Welcome

:D John:

I totally agree with the advice to do something every day. Even if it's only studying the plans or reading the Const. Manual for a few minutes, do something every day. If you do this, you will be supprised how quickly the building will go. It's like jogging or exercise, if you skip a day it's easy to skip the next day. It isn't that it's a chore. To me, it was fun!

Mannan Thomason
RV-8 N161RL
Waiting for my Bendix Fuel Inj. Servo to come back from overhaul at Airflow Performance so I can fly again!!!!!!

Thanks

thanks for the tips guys.
will be ordering tail section in the next few weeks. i will post pics as i go along. Barb at Vans has been great with the shipping to Australia though it has add about $2900.00 to the plane. i suppose it will all be worth it. cant wait for construction.
hope to travel to vans for a demo flight in the next 7 months or so. might even meet up with some of you folks.

cheers

john

Build the Vertical Stab first

Although the plans have you build the Horizontal Stabilizer first. My recommendation is to do the Vertical Stabilizer first. It will be much easier. Also if you can find a build seminar to attend or find a fellow builder before going full bore that will help you in the long run. When I go my tools I had no idea what was used for what. Another builder came over to get me started and that was invaluable. I'm still learning and continue to seek his knowledge.

By monitoring this site you are in good company.

Congratulations on the journey started.

Fearless said:
Although the plans have you build the Horizontal Stabilizer first. My recommendation is to do the Vertical Stabilizer first. It will be much easier.

I agree, but would like to add that you should thouroughly understand the build sequence for the HS first. I thought the VS directions were a bit vague until I understood that they were assuming that I was building the VS in the same manner as the HS.

Fred
magaref "at" hayscisd.net

Fearless said:
Although the plans have you build the Horizontal Stabilizer first. My recommendation is to do the Vertical Stabilizer first. It will be much easier.

I couldn't figure out why they had you do the horizontal first. Until I saw how much better I was at bucking rivets on the vertical stab. Its because you can't see the blemishes from across the ramp! Besides, getting the "difficult" one out of the way makes the rest "easy". ;)
Good luck!

Tools

Thanks for all the advise guys.

the tool kits that some of the suppliers advertise have a heap of the same stuff in different configurations. do you really need everything thats in the complete tool kit seems a bit much.
i have quite a large collection of hand tools being a mechanic, but no sheet metal tools.
please advise.

cheers

john

Tools

Hi John - welcome to the Forum.

I bought my tool kit from Aircraft Tool Supply. I haven't used a lot of my tools yet but I will eventually end up using all of them. I have also found that there are some tools that didn't come in the tool kit that are fairly necessary - like crows feet. I don't recall any of the tool companies selling those in a kit. You will also find that the yoke you get with your squeeze will be good for most, but not all, of the hand riveting.

Good luck, you're about to start having a bunch of fun.

Robert

Back