What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9a Comparison

soul

I'm New Here
Hey All,

Just wondering, compared to GA aircraft what does the 9a compare too? (stability, performance ect.) i am new to this project and have never flown anything below a c150. i hope to fly a 9a next year when i visit the states, not to many down here in Oz.
Sorry if this thread has been done could not find it in search.

cheers

john

Nothing

Hi John,
The first RV I ever flew was a 9A and it flew better than anything on the GA market! Nothing GA offers flies as easily, responsive and great visibility and looks combined. You will be thoroughly impressed. There are a bunch of RVs in Oz from what I've seen on this forum.

A Doctor I know often flew his 9A in solid IMC and rain, so I can tell you, the stability is good with the longer wings.

Find someone down there and go fly a 6 or 7 and it'll give you a very good idea of what to expect. I don't believe that there are any bad flying RVs!
Regards,

I agree with Pierre.

No doubt others will disagree, but I believe the 9 series is the best all-around performer of the 2-place RV fold, not that there are any bad performers among them. While the other RV family members can fly a few mph faster with larger engines (and burning a lot more fuel in the process), the 9a still has outstanding cruise speed, short field takeoff, high climb rate, slow stall speeds, very economical operation, and excellent stability for cross country flight. It is an exceptional performer at higher altitudes.

As for speed potential, the 9A might compare to some extent with the Mooney's (cruise 180/ top speed 210), but the 9A is much better than other fast planes while flying slow (including the other Rv's btw), which gives it a potential safety edge.

There are a few better planes suited for rough field use, but they tend to be slow and ugly. ;)

I always found the C150/152 and C172 pretty squirrely compared to the C182 Skylane. To me, the -9 feels more like the 182 than the others. It has the same smooth air stability of the 182 but is a LOT more responsive. Lot faster on the top end. Little bit slower on the low end. Like others said--go look for a ride!

Thanks

cheers for the info guys, i knew there where a few rv6 & 7's around but not sure about 9's down here. i'll be up there next year for a ride anyway and if compared to the 182 skylane for stability thats awsome.

cant wait to fly one.

cheers

john

soul said:
if compared to the 182 skylane for stability thats awsome.
Just don't forget my qualifier. I think the stability is as good in smooth air. I suspect that the much lower wing loading of the -9 would lead it to bounce around quite a bit more than the Skylane in choppy air. (I haven't flown the -9 in chop to know for sure.)

Back