What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A/7A fuselage question

Gregmarlow

Well Known Member
Hello guys,

I'm building a 9A and on the fuselage book, page 8-6 of revision 9s8r5, 12/13/04 (this is my preview plan book reference, but they are the same), the NOTE about machine countersinking the skin through the bulkhead has me slightly confused.

Anyway, I think I figured this out by looking at the most common fuselage questions on the Van's web site, but I just want to be clear.

On the intersection of the forward bottom skin (972), the center bottom skin(976) and the 904 bulkheads, I should dimple the 972 skin, and countersink the 976 skin and 904 bulkheads to accept the dimple in the 976?

Won't that enlarge the hole in the 976 center skin unacceptably? It seems too thin to counter sink. I see in the web site that this is acceptable, but can't I dimple both skins to fit into a countersunk 904 hole? Then, the top of the 904 will still be flat to accept the 4 skin stiffeners.

On the 5 outboard rivets where they have to be double flush, I can see how this won't work, because countersinking both sides of the 904 would make it too thin. Here, the proscribed method of countersinking the center bottom skin into the 904 to accept the dimple of the forward bottom skin, and countersinking the top of the 904 as well to enable double flush operations would be agreeably best.

But what about the rest of the rivets, including the ones where the stiffeners have to attach? Any problem with dimple, dimple, countersink (skin, skin, 904)

Opinions on this? I have a question about this into Van's but this is probably a dumb question and someone out there with experience with this can clear it up for me.

Thanks in advance.
Greg Marlow
Fuselage

Here is what you do

1. Countersink the outboard five rivets on the 904 bulkhead on the inside flange so shop head of rivet is flush. DO NOT countersink outer side of 904 flange where you just countersinked inside flange. Center bottom skin 976 remains flat at these five rivets and countersink forward bottom skin 972 at these five rivets. 972 is thick enough to be countersunk.

2. At stiffners countersink 904 flange from outside to accept dimples from 976 and 972 skins.

3. Remaining holes in 904 flange, 976 and 972 skins get dimpled.

Back