What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9 Acrobatics?????

Epsound

Well Known Member
Hey guys and gals,

Just came across a Youtube video of some 9 light acro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Xg1e69VSQ

Pardon me but; is this guy pushing his luck or is what he's doing ok. I know the 9 is a 4.5 G airframe. Seems I saw another where one was doing loops but I couldn't find it again.

Whats the deal here?

E.

Last edited:
Are you the "Perfect" pilot?

Aerobatics can be done in practically any airplane, as shown by Bob Hoover in the Shrike Commander. The problem comes when you make a mistake and "fall out of" a maneuver.
If you NEVER make a mistake, then go right ahead, but don't advertise that it is alright to perform aerobatics in an airplane that was not designed for it!

Last edited:
They sure didn't look like they were having very much fun by the looks on their faces. Probably couldn't stop thinking about the 7 they wish they had.:D

The self-confidence is very evident....

....that this is nowhere near this guy's first RV flight. Very well done.

Best,

I'm not going to say if this guy should be doing this or not, but I can count on one hand the number of times I have pulled more then 4.5 Gs in my -7A. In fact, it has only been twice and that was when it was done intentionally (phase I testing I briefly pulled 5.9 and the airplane g-stalled which was good enough for me).

I have fallen out of a humpty-bump and a couple of hammerheads and never pulled more than a couple of g's in the process.

Again, I'm not advocating for this guy's behavior, just giving some real-world data points.

The scenario where he could really get in trouble at low altitude is if he unintentionally performed a split-s during the roll. At high speed, to avoid contact with the ground, he could overstress it pretty easily then.

I'm glad we're not overflowing with admonishments on this subject. I think everyone is aware of the stress category that applies to the 9. I'd rather let individual responsibility take it from there. If someone is deficient enough in both skill and judgment to be at risk of pulling the wings off a 9, then an additional 1.5G of stress margin (6G) is not going to assure their safety.

Regardless of the strength and capabilities of any particular aircraft, pilots will still push them to their operating limits, whether it's a 4.4G RV-9, a 6G Pitts, or a 10G Edge 540. To me, it's all a continuum, and other than legality, 6G's is arbitrary and has no magic when it comes to safety.

You must use good judgment and fly any airplane within its operating limitations whether you're doing aerobatics or not. Plus, the term "aerobatics" is so vague that it could pretty much be anything...and it pretty much is according to the FAA if you look up their definition. So make sure you have the training and judgment to fly any maneuver safely in the aircraft you're in, whether it's a steep turn, a 1G roll, a 3G loop, or high-speed Sean Tucker-like gyroscopics. The inadvertent split-S would likely only happen to the person doing their first-ever aileron roll. And if in this case your instructor is yourself, then there are much bigger problems than just the type of airplane you're flying.

Last edited:
Aerobatics aside

would you post a youtube video of YOUR face doing acro WITH a passenger and not wearing parachutes :confused:

would you post a youtube video of YOUR face doing acro WITH a passenger and not wearing parachutes :confused:

It's a Brazilian-registered aircraft. Do you know the regs in this country? If he's in violation, that's his problem. I don't care that the video is posted.

Any knowledge that a particular RV-9(A) had done aerobatics, would to me make the aircraft near valueless. Not just the pure structural implications, which would be hard to determine, but the fact that a previous owner took such a cavalier attitude to the kit providers clear statement/intent/design philosophy - what is/was their attitude to safety/limits in the rest of the build/flying process?

Just my 2c worth ;)
Andy

Amen brother!

And I can tell you with 100% certainty, because I am the guy looking at the IP addresses that visit the site, that several dozen of them come from the FAA each day. If it is illegal in the plane's country of registration, I'm sure it has already been forwarded to the proper authorities. If they weren't aware of this guy before, they certainly are now.

Last edited:
Back