What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8a 200hp

burgundyja

Well Known Member
i have a 8a with a 200hp io-360 i think i am going to put on a catto 3 blade but have some questions. is that a good aerobatic combo or should i go with the c/s prop if so i am thinking hartzell. where should i mount the battery front or back? it will have light avionics. i am about 240lbs.

Battery Location

Hello,
I've got a IO-360 (angle valve) and a Whirlwind prop, rear battery location, and with either prop Catto, or Hartzell, I'd put the battery in the rear. (Medium avionics,, abit lighter than you; 180lbs,,, and it helps to carry ballast in the rear) It's not out of CG, but the weight helps keep the nose gear off during the landing.

8A 200HP

The angle valve 200 hp. engine on the nose gives you an automatic 40 lb. disadvantage. I should think anything you can do to shift weight to the rear is going to help.

I have the angle valve 36o battery in rear strobe pack mounted as far back as possible on home made bracket and elt in tail assembly under fiberglass fairing with hartzell c/s prop solo c/g .5 in forward so 40 lbs in rear baggage for solo if catto prop lighter less ballast.

cyril

Back