What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

80HP Rotax in a RV-12

awilson

Could I use my 10 year old 80HP 912, 155 hrs. TT in a new RV-12 (ELSA)? If so what could I expect in performance losses specifically rate of climb and top speed?

Any other problems I am not considering?

If I chose to go to the 100hp. How much could I sell my 80hp version for assuming I have an authorized repair tech. go through it?

This is my very first post on this forum so please forgive and direct me if I should have posted this elsewhere.

If you build ELSA, you may not deviate from the plans in any way. You must purchase an engine from Van's to receive the Form 8130-15.

E-AB registration required

awilson,
If you do not buy every single part from Van's and do not build it exactly like they say with absolutely no modifications, then your only option is to register it as Experimental - Amateur Built, NOT E-LSA. However, you can still fly it as a sport pilot as long as the plane still meets the definition of LSA.
As far as performance with an 80HP engine, no one knows because it has not been done yet. You will save money by using your engine, but not as much as you think because you will have to buy all of the firewall forward components (minus the engine). You might not be happy with the 80HP performance. Even if the performance is satisfactory, your plane will be harder to sell some day because it has been modified and because a new owner will not be able to obtain a repairman's certificate.
Joe

Could I use my 10 year old 80HP 912, 155 hrs. TT in a new RV-12 (ELSA)? If so what could I expect in performance losses specifically rate of climb and top speed?

Any other problems I am not considering?

If I chose to go to the 100hp. How much could I sell my 80hp version for assuming I have an authorized repair tech. go through it?

This is my very first post on this forum so please forgive and direct me if I should have posted this elsewhere.

Now that the RV12 has been certified by the Feds as a 51% you can go EAB and use your 912. In terms of power you could easily turbocharge it through BullyHawk into a 914 and pay way less than buying a new 100HP Rotax. Now what that does to front end weight I'm not sure. You would have to be careful to calculate the new CG etc but I'm guessing it would work. You would not have a problem with the LSA class because the 914 won't go any faster but it will certainly climb better and you will come out a lot cheaper than trying sell yours and buy a new one.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

This is my very first post on this forum----

Alan, welcome to VAF. :D

You came to the right place to get your RV questions answered, that is for sure.

As to selling the 80 hp engine, the Kitfox and various Monet designs would be a good market to look into. I suspect Google will help find sites dedicated to them.

Firewall Forward Stuff

Not sure I agree with Joe's comment about firewall-forward. Vans provided me with a complete firewall forward kit, less the engine. I needed to buy the assessories that Vans buy and include with the engine - radiators and coolant bottle etc. And I had to buy metric to imperial adapters. Not EAB-build, obviously.

Cheers...Keith

how much he can expect to save

Hi Keith,
I did not mean to imply that Van's would not sell the firewall forward kit, only that awilson needed to buy those items at cost higher than expected. Since you went that route, perhaps you can tell awilson how much he can expect to save by using his engine. That might help him decide what to do.
Joe

Not sure I agree with Joe's comment about firewall-forward. Vans provided me with a complete firewall forward kit, less the engine.

Because you live in Scotland. You do not have an E-LSA certification category.
In the US, all parts must be purchased from Van's to qualify for E-LSA.

As far as an RV-12 with an 80 HP 912?
I think you would have speed and climb performance about the equivalent of a Cessna 150 (which you could buy for a lot less money), with the handling qualities of an RV-12.

Thanks for the comment. I generally agree. You either do it or you don't. So if I move forward I will use the 100 HP Rotax.

Back