What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#8 Wire Crimper

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
My wiring harness from Van's is moving right along. Now I'm ready to attach the hookup onto the #8 wire. I know my standard crimpers (shown in the photo) won't work for this dude. Any suggestions?

20101025_03.jpg

Cut the wires to length and then go visit a small electrical contractor. They usually have equipment to crimp large wires -- in fact, this is not even "large" to a contractor.

I had the same problem, but since I ordered a few non insulated terminals from Steinair AND their heavy duty impact crimper (i.e.: hit with a hammer), I used that terminals for the fat bus wire, wrapped with the black heat-shrink.

That is the right way to go

Never skimp on crimping tools even when you will only use them once or twice. If you can't borrow or get the crimps made elsewhere, just save and buy them. You will use them later for maintenance even though it seems like a remote possibility now. Intermittent or high resistance connections are not something that is a joy to experience in operation or troubleshooting.

Bob Axsom

Back